Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello folks,
I am curious about the difference between Azulfidine and Colazal (for the treatment of Ulcerative colitis). As far as I understood, both are metabolized in the intestine and release 5-ASA. Azulfidine contains a sulfa moiety and Colazal doesn't so Azulfidine is not good for sulfa sensitive patient. Plus, Azulfidine byproduct is sulfapyridine so you would check liver enzymes often. But otherwise, I am unable to find the difference or preference of Colazal over Azulfidine.
What am I missing here?
Thanks in advance.
(P.S. - The question actually stems from a cost point of view. I am checking if switching the medicine is worth for a patient at a support group.)
I am curious about the difference between Azulfidine and Colazal (for the treatment of Ulcerative colitis). As far as I understood, both are metabolized in the intestine and release 5-ASA. Azulfidine contains a sulfa moiety and Colazal doesn't so Azulfidine is not good for sulfa sensitive patient. Plus, Azulfidine byproduct is sulfapyridine so you would check liver enzymes often. But otherwise, I am unable to find the difference or preference of Colazal over Azulfidine.
What am I missing here?
Thanks in advance.
(P.S. - The question actually stems from a cost point of view. I am checking if switching the medicine is worth for a patient at a support group.)