B From Community College ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jalwa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone provide me insight on how admission board thinks. How does a B average student look like than say B average student from four year college ?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you rocking a solid 3.0? I don't think you need to worry about university vs. CC so much as you need to figure out why you're not pulling more A's.

Every school has its own criteria. A "B" student from either uni or CC is going to need a well-rounded application (volunteering, school participation, etc) and a decent PCAT score to off-set his or her mediocre GPA (if we're talking straight 3.0 after two years of coursework).

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently, I'm taking Biology and Chemistry at CC. My average for Chem is 88% and Bio is 89% including labs. No matter how hard I study I'm never achieving the grades I desire. Let me give you an example, today was my third test in bio, back of my mind I knew I was prepared and I prepared intelligently. Then I sat down for the exam, as I'm going through each question I quickly come up with an answer. Then when I'm done with the exam I will usually review my choices and this is where I make the mistake of changing my original answer that was correct in the first place to incorrect answer. I just can't seem to shake this bad habit of changing answer frequently.

This is really bothering me, making it difficult to reach my potential. I study and prepare for each exams week in advance.

Additionally, the undergraduate gpa is 2.8. This is in Business Management. I won't go into detail why I have a 2.8, but lets just say that my priorities weren't straight. As you can see I really have to prove admission board that I am capable of handling science courses.
'
Many of you may think that my average is not bad at all this semester , but I don't want a "B", I want that "A". I work so hard this semester while working 40 to 45 hours a week.

What should I do ? I really have the desire to be a pharmacist and I feel this is just starting point at cc, what happens when I start taking University level science courses ?

I would kindly appreciate it if you can share your test taking tips.

Thank you

Last edited:
It's not stated explicitly from pharm schools, but many of them do consider the competitiveness of your GPA based on CC or 4 year university. When I went to a workshop for UOP, they said CC students should have 4.0 or upper 3's.

Currently, I'm taking Biology and Chemistry at CC. My average for Chem is 88% and Bio is 89% including labs. No matter how hard I study I'm never achieving the grades I desire. Let me give you an example, today was my third test in bio, back of my mind I knew I was prepared and I prepared intelligently. Then I sat down for the exam, as I'm going through each question I quickly come up with an answer. Then when I'm done with the exam I will usually review my choices and this is where I make the mistake of changing my original answer that was correct in the first place to incorrect answer. I just can't seem to shake this bad habit of changing answer frequently.

This is really bothering me, making it difficult to reach my potential. I study and prepare for each exams week in advance.

What should I do ? I really have a desire to be a pharmacist and I feel this is just starting point at cc what happens when I take University level science courses ?

Additionally, the undergraduate gpa is 2.8. This is in Business Management. I won't go into detail why I have a 2.8, but lets just say that my priorities weren't straight. As you can see I really have to show admission board that I am capable of handling science courses.

Many of you may think that my average is not bad at all this semester , but I don't want a B I want a A. I work so hard this semester while working 40 to 45 hours a week.

I feel that science is my strong point, but I really need to figure out a way to over come my exam taking obstacles.

I would kindly appreciate it if you can share your test taking ability tips.

Thank you
I was in a similar situation. I worked 40 plus hours a week while taking a full course load. My advice to you is to make a sacrifice. Ask your job if you can cut back some hours, offer you part time, or look for another job that could be more flexible. (This would also mean cutting back financial spendings too, but you can't compromise your grades).

Regardless, you will have to realize what's more important to you. Otherwise, learn how to time-manage. It's difficult but if you could pull it through, admissions like to see that too. Don't forget to talk about your challenges when you apply. It helps them see your character.

I completely agree, I will really need to show admission board how different I am now than I was six years ago, I'm more serious this time around.

Thank you .

Additionally, the undergraduate gpa is 2.8. This is in Business Management. I won't go into detail why I have a 2.8, but lets just say that my priorities weren't straight. As you can see I really have to prove admission board that I am capable of handling science courses.
'
Many of you may think that my average is not bad at all this semester , but I don't want a "B", I want that "A". I work so hard this semester while working 40 to 45 hours a week.

What should I do ? I really have the desire to be a pharmacist and I feel this is just starting point at cc, what happens when I start taking University level science courses ?

Thank you

I was in a similar situation. I worked 40 plus hours a week while taking a full course load. My advice to you is to make a sacrifice. Ask your job if you can cut back some hours, offer you part time, or look for another job that could be more flexible. (This would also mean cutting back financial spendings too, but you can't compromise your grades).

Regardless, you will have to realize what's more important to you. Otherwise, learn how to time-manage. It's difficult but if you could pull it through, admissions like to see that too. Don't forget to talk about your challenges when you apply. It helps them see your character.

IMHO, you really need to pick it up from here on out. Many professional schools like to see students making significant improvement and showing an upward trend. Muangz made a lot of good points and offered some good suggestions. GPA isn't the only statistic Adcom's look at when evaluating an applicant; they also consider PCAT, LOR's, ECs, PS, and secondary essays. However, with that being said, there are some schools that will simply look at your GPA and if it does not meet their minimum requirements, you will not even be considered. Make sure you do the proper research when it comes time to choose where to apply. Also, some schools have different stipulations regarding credits from a CC, so make sure you look into that as well.

'

Thank you

Don't be disappointed......just chill and concentrate more on ur studies. Make a game plan of wat u need to do in the near future to make urself more presentable. Like most people said get some experience in community sevice,participate in school clubs and organizations and above all prepare well and nail that PCAT exam.....Good Luck:thumbup::thumbup: