1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

B+ in Sciences!

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by jjboy66, May 19, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. jjboy66

jjboy66

May 19, 2014
    Help! NJ resident. I'm a second semester freshman and my first semester went well (3.79 GPA) but then second semester went terrible! I got an A in Calc 2, but a B+ in BOTH Bio 2 and Chem 2! This brings me down to about a 3.65! Getting a grade in the B's in the basic requirements looks terrible and i'm on the verge of giving up pre-med because at my small school, you can only get into an MD school with a 3.8 usually. Also, I am graduating in 3 years so I only have one more year to make up my GPA (taking orgo, genetics, physics..). Regardless, I'm depressed with my B+'s and don't know what to do at this point. At my school, a B+ in a science=No medical school. HELP :((((

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. TxC

TxC 2+ Year Member

Feb 25, 2014
    I highly doubt that a couple of B+'s is going to hurt you. If you're really that worried about it, just work harder in your future science courses and get those A's that you want! I really don't think there are many premeds who only get A's in their prereqs.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
    jjboy66 likes this.
  4. Doctor Dream

Doctor Dream 2+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Dreamland
    MDApps:
    You're only finishing your freshman year, you still have two years to get your GPA up. As a freshman, your GPA can fluctuate considerably, simply because you don't have many credits to buffer the B+. I had a 3.53 after my first semester of college, got straight A's my second semester and jumped to a 3.75. Also there's absolutely nothing wrong with a B+ in pre-reqs. You generally would like A's and A-'s, but a B+ isn't anything to get your panties in a knot about. Just learn from this semester and bounce back next year.

5. basketcase0a0

basketcase0a0 2+ Year Member

Jun 12, 2013
    MDApps:
    I got B's (plain B's, no pluses) in all three into Bio courses at my school, Gen Chem 1, O Chem 1, Freshman Math, and I got accepted this cycle straight out of my undergrad. Calm down and do well from here on out, you'll be fine

6. ANATOMYgirl22

ANATOMYgirl22 2+ Year Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Ann Arbor
    MDApps:
    Yeah, you definitely need to relax a little. I'd say A's in upper level sciences and an upward trend will make up for any B+ you got as a freshman. I got B+'s in gen chem I and II and in ochem I. Things ended up just fine for me.

Posted using SDN Mobile