B+ in Sciences!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjboy66

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help! NJ resident. I'm a second semester freshman and my first semester went well (3.79 GPA) but then second semester went terrible! I got an A in Calc 2, but a B+ in BOTH Bio 2 and Chem 2! This brings me down to about a 3.65! Getting a grade in the B's in the basic requirements looks terrible and i'm on the verge of giving up pre-med because at my small school, you can only get into an MD school with a 3.8 usually. Also, I am graduating in 3 years so I only have one more year to make up my GPA (taking orgo, genetics, physics..). Regardless, I'm depressed with my B+'s and don't know what to do at this point. At my school, a B+ in a science=No medical school. HELP :((((

Members don't see this ad.

I highly doubt that a couple of B+'s is going to hurt you. If you're really that worried about it, just work harder in your future science courses and get those A's that you want! I really don't think there are many premeds who only get A's in their prereqs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You're only finishing your freshman year, you still have two years to get your GPA up. As a freshman, your GPA can fluctuate considerably, simply because you don't have many credits to buffer the B+. I had a 3.53 after my first semester of college, got straight A's my second semester and jumped to a 3.75. Also there's absolutely nothing wrong with a B+ in pre-reqs. You generally would like A's and A-'s, but a B+ isn't anything to get your panties in a knot about. Just learn from this semester and bounce back next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got B's (plain B's, no pluses) in all three into Bio courses at my school, Gen Chem 1, O Chem 1, Freshman Math, and I got accepted this cycle straight out of my undergrad. Calm down and do well from here on out, you'll be fine

I got B's (plain B's, no pluses) in all three into Bio courses at my school, Gen Chem 1, O Chem 1, Freshman Math, and I got accepted this cycle straight out of my undergrad. Calm down and do well from here on out, you'll be fine
Yeah, you definitely need to relax a little. I'd say A's in upper level sciences and an upward trend will make up for any B+ you got as a freshman. I got B+'s in gen chem I and II and in ochem I. Things ended up just fine for me.

Posted using SDN Mobile