B/L intermediate cervical plexus blocks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turnupthevapor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For a thyroid is B/L intermediate cervical plexus blocks a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Perform bilateral cervical plexus blocks….
Some time later….

Attachments

• 31F9DE2E-43D8-4C2D-BB35-274097C3D00A.gif
    31F9DE2E-43D8-4C2D-BB35-274097C3D00A.gif
    67.1 KB · Views: 45
FYI, some people differentiate between a superficial and an intermediate cervical plexus block and some don’t. For a true superficial probably okay, but for the intermediate, I would argue that’s questionable.

Reactions: 1 user
Do your pts hurt that much with thyroid they need a block or even dilaudid? Our surgeon infiltrates local for postop pain and we do a small touch of fentanyl
Similarly, we have a vascular surgeon that wants cervical plexus blocks for his GA carotids, and it kind of pisses me off

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, some people differentiate between a superficial and an intermediate cervical plexus block and some don’t. For a true superficial probably okay, but for the intermediate, I would argue that’s questionable.
I think Nash and colleagues disproved the impermeable fascia idea

Attachments

• 32FBF930-697C-4FEB-9521-BDC829A3234F.jpeg
    32FBF930-697C-4FEB-9521-BDC829A3234F.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 186EFF34-9298-450E-9F0F-C84F8D82AE48.jpeg
    186EFF34-9298-450E-9F0F-C84F8D82AE48.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 47
Similarly, we have a vascular surgeon that wants cervical plexus blocks for his GA carotids, and it kind of pisses me off
I think these are great for surgeons who don’t use local properly.

Had a very nice prompt wake up with 0.1ish of precedex and 0 narcotic.

Why not just do bilateral phrenic nerve blocks? You’ll get great analgesia as they go to the ICU intubated and sedated. Hospital can bill for ICU level of care and a prolonged admission, and you get your 1.7 extra wRVUs to pay for your steak dinner. Jackpot.

• Haha

Why does it piss you off? Easy block, patient doesn’t need opioids postoperatively, and you get to bill for a block. What’s not to love?

Why does it piss you off? Easy block, patient doesn’t need opioids postoperatively, and you get to bill for a block. What’s not to love?
Correct- it is easy. But still requires time to pull drugs and program ultrasound etc- our block/pain service is extremely busy as it is. And it’s an unnecessary block- either local infiltration or a landmark plexus block by either the surgeon or anesthesiologist is probably just as effective. And brings it in probably 50 bucks to our practice (I’m guessing)…