B.S./MD program for the current college student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpenserKuntz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that highschool seniors can get into B.S./MD programs, but can the current college student do it? I'd be willing to start all over again if I could. I'm going to have to go back and do all of my pre-reqs before my junior year, which means I'll have to basically re-do my last two years, which, for me, isn't much of a problem. My GPA isn't bad (3.1), but I've barely got any semester credit hours. Improving my GPA won't be too bad, at all. The only reason it's so low is because last summer, I broke my hip (and I'm only 19), and the collateral damage from the injury kept me out of school more than half the year, and my grades suffered horribly. I'm not worried, per-say, I'd just like to have the security of being in a B.S./MD program.

Members don't see this ad.

SpenserKuntz said:
I know that highschool seniors can get into B.S./MD programs, but can the current college student do it? I'd be willing to start all over again if I could. I'm going to have to go back and do all of my pre-reqs before my junior year, which means I'll have to basically re-do my last two years, which, for me, isn't much of a problem. My GPA isn't bad (3.1), but I've barely got any semester credit hours. Improving my GPA won't be too bad, at all. The only reason it's so low is because last summer, I broke my hip (and I'm only 19), and the collateral damage from the injury kept me out of school more than half the year, and my grades suffered horribly. I'm not worried, per-say, I'd just like to have the security of being in a B.S./MD program.

Why would being out of school for a semester cause your GPA to drop? You're leaving something out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the Miami 7 year program. I was accepted earlier this summer. There is a link in my sig which gives more info on the program. Hope this helps.

ghostfoot said:
Why would being out of school for a semester cause your GPA to drop? You're leaving something out.

I was in and out of the hospital the entire semester. I broke my hip running - no car accident, no football injury - I was just running. My doctor seems pretty concerned about it. Turns out my calcitonin (sp) levels were way off. I had three surgeries to correct the injury (it was pretty horrific), and I spent a total of 2 months IN the hospital.

SpenserKuntz said:
I was in and out of the hospital the entire semester. I broke my hip running - no car accident, no football injury - I was just running. My doctor seems pretty concerned about it. Turns out my calcitonin (sp) levels were way off. I had three surgeries to correct the injury (it was pretty horrific), and I spent a total of 2 months IN the hospital.

well good luck to you. If you want it bad enough, you'll get it.

SpenserKuntz said:

Well that sucks. I am sorry to hear that. Atleast when you get to the point when you're interviewing, you can actually say "I broke my hip and had to have surgery" instead of " I just got lazy that year" when they ask you what happened to your grades. Good luck with whatever you do :thumbup:

I definitely had a chance at the Penn State/Jefferson combined program, but I only found out about it after I the application deadline. Oh well, I'll just go into medical school traditionally, but it would have been nice to have the security and closer relationships with students/friends for 8 years. More students in high school should know about programs like this, and more schools should offer this combined degree.

SpenserKuntz said:

SpenserKuntz said:

I'm sorry Spenser, that sounds horrible.

Out of curiosity, why would you need to retake two years of classes?

ghostfoot said:
I'm sorry Spenser, that sounds horrible.

Out of curiosity, why would you need to retake two years of classes?

I'd only taken bunch of anthropology classes, and history classes. The only science classes I had were an astronomy class, a general bio class, and a health bio class. I just finished an anatomy class over the summer, and loved it. I have no chemistry, no physics, no bio classes with labs, and no calculus. I'll need the chem and the bio before I can take anything uppperdivision.

In short, I had a volunteer counselor who told me exactly what I wanted to hear, and nothing I needed to hear. I was told that lower division classes didn't mean much, and it was my time to take whatever the heck I wanted. It was never even hinted to that I needed other stuff - but, that's my fault for not inquiring.

I should say that I had both a terrible experience in the hospital, and a good one. It made me want to go from being a nurse, to a doctor. I had three great nurses, and one horrible one. Both the doctors that watched over me, and the one that did the surgery, were all amazing. As time passed, I realized that my time in the hospital was made decent because of the nurses, but it was the doctor(s) that were going to be the ones that would help me walk again. It's surreal to think about - it looked sketchy for awhile, and the underlying problem as to what the hell was happening that caused the injury was going completely un-noticed. At first, I was told that I might have renal failure; but thankfully, it turned out that my kidney's couldn't be healthier. It took a doctor with 25 years experience and a resisdent to figure out the problem, and I quote Dr. Berge on this one, "It's so damned simple son, your all out of whack!" I later learned that my calcitonin levels were causing the problem. Anyway, that's my little story. I'll continue my efforts in getting into med-school via traditional means.

SpenserKuntz said:

U Florida has BS/MD program you apply to in the middle of your sophomore year that accepts you into medical school that same year. It requires one more year of undergrad at that school, and then you start med school. Its open to anyone, but I think they give a preference to FL residents.