B.s. pre-req. for Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alchemist760

Alchemist_760
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. The names Michael, I'm currently a pharmacy tech student, and a FT college student here in San Diego California. I've pretty much came to the conclusion that i want to be a Pharmacist. However, after speaking with my counsler about a transfer to a UC or a pharmacy school, I was informed that a lot of the good pharmacy schools require a BS degree upon entry. Well...I want to be a pharmacist in either a drug store, or a hospital setting (I dont know the names for either) but im clueless as of what BS degree will help me in such a field. I've been looking into a degree in chemistry or perhaps even pharmacology or toxicology or even pharmaceutical science. But im still not sure. So, for the kind of position im looking for, can i get some feedback on what kind of degrees would be most helpful/relavent. Thanx.

-Michael

Members don't see this ad.

There is no required degree. You can major in anything that interests you. Just make sure you get all the pre reqs done. Now the two most common degrees are usually Biology and Chemistry. But rememver you don't have to major in either, you could major in anthropolgy if you would like.

There is no required degree. You can major in anything that interests you. Just make sure you get all the pre reqs done. Now the two most common degrees are usually Biology and Chemistry. But rememver you don't have to major in either, you could major in anthropolgy if you would like.

Correction: For some schools in CA it is required that you obtain your B.S before entering.

I know for sure that California Northstate now requires a B.S and so does Touro College of Pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correction: For some schools in CA it is required that you obtain your B.S before entering.

I know for sure that California Northstate now requires a B.S and so does Touro College of Pharmacy.
Sorry confusion. I meant there is no specific degree that you must obtain. Any degree would suffice.

Many pharmacy schools on the East Coast don't require BS degrees...yet.

USE CAUTION - when posting information that you are not 100% certain about. Posting hearsay is frowned upon.

Touro PreReq Requirements LINK

As posted above - a Ba or Bs can be used to fulfill Touro's Prereq

To answer the OPs question: It is NOT a requirement for most schools. HOWEVER - as competition for admissions continues to increase - so will the requirements for admission. A baccalaureate degree will make you a more competitive applicant.

It is best to get this information direct from the schools you are interested in... rather than get information that may or may not be correct from an anonymous forum.

~above~

Hmm ic. Thanks for the help guys. =) I guess to be more specific, what I was getting at is what degree's would be more suitable for the pharmacy field i want to pursue. But this did help alot, now i know you don't need a specific degree. But i'd still like to figure out, what degree's would be more relevant to my specialty. Feed back please, thanks.

(

Biochemistry is always a popular one.

Hmm biochemistry, i kinda like that, its a mixture of the two main sciences ill be using...Nice! And thanx!

hey Michael, congrats on your decision to pursue pharmacy. I went to UCSD and I majored in biochemistry, it's a very comprehensive and difficult major, i would highly recommend that you major in something easier, like general biology. having an easier major will allow you to have a higher GPA and hence you'll have a greater choice of pharm schools.

if you have any further questions, feel free to PM me, i was in the same boat as you a few years ago, so i'll have lot's of current information for you and will be able to answer any questions at all that you may have.

have a great day,

sasha

haha I forgot to add that biochemistry is the popular one... but it is not the only one! Besides, at my school, they have to take a much harder batch of classes than general biology or other biology-related majors. (I'm a physiology major so I don't think it's as bad in comparison). Any biology-related science/discipline should be sufficient. ;)

Hmm. How much more difficult, i mean i understand that chemistry as a whole is a much more complicated science. But i dunno which do u think would help me more, a degree in biochem or a degree in gen. bio....I mean in the field of pharmacy, isn't chemistry really important?

Last edited:
Well in my opinion, much of what you need for pharmacy, you will learn in pharmacy school.

BS in biology here, class of 2009. I have enjoyed it very much. I have had some really fun classes like marine biology, evolution, toxicology, to go along with the prepharm courses. A biology degree is nice because it can take you wherever you want to go depending on how hard you want to work and what you enjoy.

Major in something that you enjoy most, because it will make life a little more enjoyable and in the case you don't go to pharmacy school, you will find something closer to your interests rather than just getting a degree for the sake of.

Yea, but in my opinion...these days you must do things for the sake of....i mean if i wanted to major in what i wanted it'd be music. However, I'm trying to get a background in something that involves medicine, and pays good. My old major was nursing, a field in dire need (which means pay increase soon). I chose pharmacy school over it because it is a little less hectic. However, lets say i go to pharmacy and i decide pharmacy is not for me...I'm still gonna want to apply myself somewhere in the medical field....its where the money is that. Not only that , but in times like these (crap economy) Who's least at risk for unemployment? Yup u guessed it, medical jobs :smuggrin:. So I'm probably gonna major in something that will lead me into a med job. Fk it...Any other suggestions for degree's that will help me with pharmacy school???

PS> I'm leaning for a science degree, I'm just trying to figure out which one would be more helpful.

Last edited:
Yea, but in my opinion...these days you must do things for the sake of....i mean if i wanted to major in what i wanted it'd be music. However, I'm trying to get a background in something that involves medicine, and pays good. My old major was nursing, a field in dire need (which means pay increase soon). I chose pharmacy school over it because it is a little less hectic. However, lets say i go to pharmacy and i decide pharmacy is not for me...I'm still gonna want to apply myself somewhere in the medical field....its where the money is that. Not only that , but in times like these (crap economy) Who's least at risk for unemployment? Yup u guessed it, medical jobs :smuggrin:. So I'm probably gonna major in something that will lead me into a med job. Fk it...Any other suggestions for degree's that will help me with pharmacy school???

PS> I'm leaning for a science degree, I'm just trying to figure out which one would be more helpful.

That's what my mother told me. She told me the economy is bad and its best to do what is stable and not what is the most fun. I am a fun loving person but I need to do something that pays the bills too...If I can do anything I want it would be acting. But unless you are Julia Roberts you will not be making any money doing that...so I decided that pharmacy is the best way to go. I mean what other job HAS 1) has great job security. 2) makes over 100K a year. 3) does not involve blood or touching people????? Pharmacists is the only one I can think of besides movie stars of course. LOL... Lawyers and CEO does too but my english sucks so I can't do law and CEO would be great but they work 80+ hours a week...It better to marry a CEO then to be a CEO...:laugh:

Anyhow...to answer your question. You should major in business b/c a chemistry or biology degree is pretty much useless if you don't go into a professional program or get a phd. So if I were you I would get a business degree and take your pre q for pharmacy school. If Pharm school doesn't work out you still have a business degree to fall back on and you can always do Pharm Sales for Pzifer or johnson johnson. ;) And if pharm school does work out then you can get a pharmd degree along with an MBA! sounds like a win win situation to me. good luck.

Or open my own CVS and be the owner/pharmacist O_O lol thanx for the input i like that idea.