BA/MD vs. graduating early

pollypocket20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
i've applied to several accelerated 6 and 7 year BA/MD programs, but since they are so competitive, i find it unlikely that i'll be accepted into any of those...
so what is your opinion of finishing college in 3 years? to me it seems like essentially the same thing as going through a combined program, except you have to take the MCAT and apply to medical school. i mean, if i were accepted into any combined programs i would probably pick those because it makes things easier, but if that doesn't work out, i'm thinking about going to UT or perhaps Rice and graduating in 3 years, which hopefully shouldn't be too hard since i'm majoring in humanities. it saves money + time. does this seem like a good idea? do you know anyone who has successfully graduated in 3 years and gone to medical school? any input would be great! thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Slow down! Your only young once. Enjoy this period of time when you don't have any real responsibilities. Travel, date, drink, adventure, do random stuff your interested in. You have your whole life to make money, and after medical school you'll have no choice but to work because of loans.

I dual enrolled and became a full-time college student at 16. I'm doing fine so far and I plan on applying to med school when I'm 19. It's all good.

Do whatever you like.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm thinking about going to UT or perhaps Rice and graduating in 3 years, which hopefully shouldn't be too hard since i'm majoring in humanities. it saves money + time. does this seem like a good idea? do you know anyone who has successfully graduated in 3 years and gone to medical school? any input would be great! thanks

Legitimate question: why are you in a hurry? Is it just that you're that goal-oriented, journey-be-damned? Are you worried about the opportunity cost of lost years' incomes when you could have been a doctor? Might help us give a better answer.

I would give my right kidney to have a year off right now. Just sayin'. The view from the inside aint always so peachy.

I contemplated doing that, it's not worth it. You can't intern during the summers and I think that's the worst part. There is no great advantage to doing it.

I finished college in two years (as part of the combination program) and have no regrets! I loved it and have had a great time each year since then. But that works for me, choose your own path.

TL

Slow down dude. What is one year in your entire life? Have fun, get good grades, make new friends, have sex, travel, go rock climbing, run a marathon, go hitchhiking, go camping in the grand canyon, cycle from east- to westcoast and you won't regret for sure.

Last edited:
I am 17 and I just applied to Med school. I don't regret anything.

I started school 1 year early, skipped senior year, and then did my UG in 2 years (Bio/Biochem). I think if you're up to the tremendous challenge, there is seriously nothing to hold you back. You have to plan your schooling REALLY well and plan out any EC's you will be doing. I have a year and a half of research, one publication(1 more for sure by graduation, maybe 2), 200+ hours of volunteering, ~50 hours of shadowing, leadership, work experience... blah blah blah... on top of that, I had 3.7 at application time and 33 on MCAT.

Like I said, you can do it if you have the determination, you can definitely do it. It is a great option... I havent heard of any complaints from anyone who has actually gone in early. But consider this: if you DO graduate early, it would definitely be nice to take a year and invest it into self-development. It shows character and personality (plus it gives you something to talk about during an interview xD).

I am 17 and I just applied to Med school. I don't regret anything.

I started school 1 year early, skipped senior year, and then did my UG in 2 years (Bio/Biochem). I think if you're up to the tremendous challenge, there is seriously nothing to hold you back. You have to plan your schooling REALLY well and plan out any EC's you will be doing. I have a year and a half of research, one publication(1 more for sure by graduation, maybe 2), 200+ hours of volunteering, ~50 hours of shadowing, leadership, work experience... blah blah blah... on top of that, I had 3.7 at application time and 33 on MCAT.

Like I said, you can do it if you have the determination, you can definitely do it. It is a great option... I havent heard of any complaints from anyone who has actually gone in early. But consider this: if you DO graduate early, it would definitely be nice to take a year and invest it into self-development. It shows character and personality (plus it gives you something to talk about during an interview xD).

Wow, you're 17 and you have already applied to med school?! Have you been accepted / invited for any interviews after all?

I only continued my application at my two state schools and interviewed at both. Waiting for an acceptance or rejection! Lol I am currently in the mindset that as a backup, I will travel and likely start my own business. I recently moved out of my parent's house so travelling money is whatever I have left out of my savings (from doing research/scholarships -- my parents didnt believe in paying for cawledge and all).