Ba/md

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneTyme

Kickin' it ol' school
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question.....

I am applying to a BA/MD through Barry University and SGU (Caribbean School). The program entails completing my degree at Barry and then going straight to SGU. A student in the program must maintain a 3.2 gpa and they must take the MCAT (although the MCAT is considered diagnostic).

Pros:
-Through the program I will complete my MD at least 2 years faster than if I stay on my current track (working full time and going to school full time)
-The 3.2 gpa should not be a problem, I currently have a 3.68.
-I was awarded a scholarship
-Getting to see a different part of the world, as a resident not a tourist

Cons:
-Stigma of Caribbean MD
-Cost (My employer currently pays for school)
-Loss at a chance to go attend a more "prestigious school"
-If history repeats it self the military with have to save me from a militia coup (Then again, I would have the chance to save the general student population from the coup….:horns:)

While I believe that a Carib MD is not the strongest path, it is a path. The premed advisor at my University has been very impressed with the Carib students that have come through on clinicals. I have met a few Carib MD's and they have all been successful. At this stage of my life I feel that living in a different place and experiencing different cultures will make me a well rounded individual (and in turn a better physician). For me, the benefit of diversity is just as strong of a factor as attending a US institution (although I would not choose a Carib acceptance over a US acceptance).

Anybody care to share their thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

[ I have met a few Carib MD's and they have all been successful.

The biggest issue with caribbean schools is attrition. The folks you meet who make it through caribbean schools may be successful, but they may not be representative of the freshman class they started with. They tend to be the percentage who perservered. You don't tend to hear as much from the many who didn't.

Personally, the 2 years I'd save doing this program wouldn't be worth having to go to a Caribbean school. What's the rush? Are you aware of the potential difficulties in coming from an offshore school?

But that's just me.

It might seem like you are saving time, but this is not the best reason to pursue this path. I'd only go this route after trying to get into a US school for at least 2 cycles. As others have said, caribbean schools have a high dropout rate. Also, it is much harder to match into a competitive residency. Going this route is really a bad idea.

I do know people who graduated from Caribbean schools and have gone on to good careers, but this is not everyone.