Software Engineer to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cranberrysauce

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am currently a Software Engineer. My undergrad was Computer Engineering with a minor in Computer Science.

My overall undergrad gpa is 3.3. I know it's very low and I also have Pass or Fail grades because we had the option during covid. I have a downward trend because I was rushing to finish my undergrad and I didn't care that much about my grades because tech don't really look at gpa. I have 145 credits right now. I am not sure if taking post bacc will help increase my gpa by a lot but I'm interested in applying on post bacc programs. My reason for switching careers is that I feel like helping other people gives me a sense of purpose and fulfillment than being a software engineer. I know this sounds repetitive. Although, I do love my current job but it was always my dream to be a doctor.

I have not taken most of the pre-requisites. What advices can you give me to help in my process?

Members don't see this ad.

You will absolutely need a post-bacc. You need the prereqs. It need not be a formal program.

But before this, see if you can shadow some docs. Being a doctor isn't just helping patients in need. There's a lot of crap that is like baggage that doctors need to carry around in order to do their jobs. It's very rewarding but you should get an idea of what it's really like!

@Goro has a thread on reinvention. Read that too.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I am currently a Software Engineer. My undergrad was Computer Engineering with a minor in Computer Science.

. My reason for switching careers is that I feel like helping other people gives me a sense of purpose and fulfillment than being a software engineer.
There are many careers that fulfill this, without you having to be a doctor.
In addition to shadowing doctors, you really should start volunteering with patients, so you know what you're getting into.