Baby before or after med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wold wait until after med school. My mother had children (ME :D) before Med school and it ruined her entire career. While she loves me and my three siblings, she was not able to even finish undergrad and changed her career plan to becoming a nurse rather than a doctor. Almost twenty years later she is still trying to finish her school to become a nurse. It's a big risk to kill your momentum now - it will be easy to get wrapped up in being a mom (nothing wrong with that) and get more and more distracted from Med school. However, after you have finished Med school, you will have already devoted that much time, money, and effort, and you will already be That far...so I doubt even a child could kill the momentum. As well, parents have kids in their thirties and forties all the time now. I always dreamed of having a baby in my early twenties (everyone in my family had kids pretty young), but I realize now that if I do that, I risk the chance of not fulfilling my dream to become a doctor.
Whatever you guys decide I wish you luck!!!! :luck::love:

Members don't see this ad.

I wold wait until after med school. My mother had children (ME :D) before Med school and it ruined her entire career. While she loves me and my three siblings, she was not able to even finish undergrad and changed her career plan to becoming a nurse rather than a doctor. Almost twenty years later she is still trying to finish her school to become a nurse. It's a big risk to kill your momentum now - it will be easy to get wrapped up in being a mom (nothing wrong with that) and get more and more distracted from Med school. However, after you have finished Med school, you will have already devoted that much time, money, and effort, and you will already be That far...so I doubt even a child could kill the momentum. As well, parents have kids in their thirties and forties all the time now. I always dreamed of having a baby in my early twenties (everyone in my family had kids pretty young), but I realize now that if I do that, I risk the chance of not fulfilling my dream to become a doctor.
Whatever you guys decide I wish you luck!!!! :luck::love:

Katt, I'm not sure I agree with you. Medical school is tough, granted. But it very probably is the best time to have a baby as a female medical professional. I say this because you're not going to get a job at the medical school, and the med school impression has no appreciable impact on where you get hired after residency (read real world).

I got pregnant twice in residency. Despite a publication/research track record and quality work, I felt that I was being treated differently than the others. No one came out and said anything, but I could feel the "mommie track" brand being stamped on my forehead. I am currently in fellowship (soon to be medical staff here), and we are planning one last baby next year. I am also looking at my quarterly service schedule figuring how I can still carry my service obligations, and not screw my colleagues over. None of the real service obligations exist in medical school (as they do in residency & beyond), so it represents a better time from my perspective.

After school i should say. You dont' how hard it is to study at the same time giving your time with your baby.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I have 18 weeks and I am stressed. Im an MS1 and I just finished my first block. My baby is due March 14th right in the middle of second semester.I have no idea what to do...... Im originally from Cali and my med school is very far from there. I have the option of moving back second semester and having the baby or staying in school until I have the baby and then seeing what follows........

Any advice would be appreciated.

Khanoom,
I don't think you should drop out of school. Is there a way you can take maternity leave for a month or two, then make up your last block during the summer months or something?

If you leave 2nd semester, would you then take 1 year off and come back the next year? That would be OK to do from an educational standpoint, and I really, really don't think residencies would hold it against you. We had a woman with a baby in 1st year of med school (had him right before 1st year started) who ended up doing 2nd year as two years (i.e. decelerating/taking 1/2 of the blocks).

You left out a lot of details. If your spouse/partner is planning to stay at home with the baby, vs. not, or you have another relative to do so. If you need daycare, who is paying? You w/your student loans, or a spouse? If you haven't got a supportive spouse/partner, might be better to try and transfer to a medical school closer to your family, if you get along well with them. That way they can help you with the baby.

Thanks by the way.

My Husband is awesome. He teaches part time at the university and he will be taking care of the baby if I decide to stay and finish up. Well, he will take care of the baby while Im in class that is. I think Im going to take a month off after the birth then try and take all my exams and such before summer. I have the option of returning and finishing second yr or doing a fifth pathway which is kinda like doing the 2nd yr in two years, that will give me much more time with the baby.

How does that sound?

I know this forum is old but it has really helped my husband and I in our discussion as to when we should start our family. I will begin medical school in the fall at LECOM in Bradenton. I am planning on going off birth control in March and hopefully getting pregnant sometime around September or October to have the baby in the summer between years one and two. I was wondering if there are any people who have experience with how the school handles maternity situations or if they offer any daycare? Also, was it hard to study or keep focus on your work while pregnant? LECOM uses the PBL pathway and from what I understand this may be really helpful when starting a family. Any advice would be awesome! Thanks!!

Last edited:
Old thread. but im glad i found this conversation. Answers alot of my questions :)