Baby in residency- delayed graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BarberBunun31324

Reaction score
Am planning on having a baby during family medicine residency. I understand one of the options is to take a leave of absence and this may delay graduation. What consequences can delaying graduation have? On jobs, life, boards? Why do most residents not want to delay graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Am planning on having a baby during family medicine residency. I understand one of the options is to take a leave of absence and this may delay graduation. What consequences can delaying graduation have? On jobs, life, boards? Why do most residents not want to delay graduation?

It has no real effect on jobs or boards. Most residents don't want to delay graduation because they want to finish and a) not be a resident any longer (with all that that entails) and b) make attending-level money.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My experience was that even many fellowship programs were happy to have someone start a little bit late.

Having said that, most is not all and this varies by specialty. So some residents try not to delay graduation in order to keep all their fellowship options open.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a baby during residency and started fellowship 2 weeks late. It was not a big deal.

Several co residents had children during residency and a few took extra time after baby was born and graduated off cycle. Never had any issues with fellowship start dates.

There is no consequences in delayed graduation with real life jobs. Jobs hire year round. Remember, tho that not everyone has a smooth pregnancy, delivery, etc. There's bed rest, preterm labor, C-section recovery/complications, etc. Always have to factor in those possibilities and you may be delayed longer than you planned. I was out for a year with my second child from complications.