Baby due September of intern year!?!?! - previous experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyinlove

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just found out that my husband and I are expecting around mid-September of my intern year. We're doing the couples match, and would like input from anyone with similar experiences/friends who have gone through starting a new family during their intern year. Obviously the final decision is incredibly difficult and will be made only after much deliberation. I also wonder whether it would be beneficial to disclose this situation to my potential residency program pre-match (I realize I'm not bound to do this, but in the interest of better resident-faculty supprt/relationship..??).

Members don't see this ad.

I had a baby December of intern year and know a couple of other people that have had intern year babies. It is definitely possible, maybe not ideal, but very possible. I have a well adjusted two year old to show for it. I have a great husband who is a dentist though, so we didn't have two residency schedules to deal with. The one pair of residents I knew with one then two babies during their residencies had a live in au pair so they didn't have to worry about call nights.

My advice would be don't tell them pre match, no reason to, doesn't give them the ability to let it affect their decision because even if it shouldn't it will. Don't be apologetic about the pregnancy and don't short yourself on maternity leave. Even if you have to go over at the end to make up for it. You'll regret it later. Good luck!