Baby during residency; Issues w/ ABFM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am planning on having a baby during Family Medicine residency.
1) Although FMLA may be offered by a program, I was told ABFM only allows 30days of leave; otherwise, there are some negative consequences on boards? Is this true? What are those negative consequences? 2) Are there any reasons that a resident would not be able to take the full 12 weeks off that FMLA allows?

Thank you! Appreciate your help.
 
I am planning on having a baby during Family Medicine residency.
1) Although FMLA may be offered by a program, I was told ABFM only allows 30days of leave; otherwise, there are some negative consequences on boards? Is this true? What are those negative consequences? 2) Are there any reasons that a resident would not be able to take the full 12 weeks off that FMLA allows?

Thank you! Appreciate your help.
What my program did was 4 weeks off and then a 4 week elective that was mostly or entirely able to be done from home, so you basically end up with 8 weeks off.

You could take more but that would delay graduation and put you off cycle a little bit.
 
Thank you! How bad is being off cycle/delaying graduation? Does it just look bad or would it make it harder to find jobs/get board certified etc? I guess I'm asking what are the negative consequences of being off cycle?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you! How bad is being off cycle/delaying graduation? Does it just look bad or would it make it harder to find jobs/get board certified etc? I guess I'm asking what are the negative consequences of being off cycle?
It might mess with getting board certified, I'm not sure. Can be a pain in the butt for your residency depending on how they structure things like malpractice insurance.

Taking that much time will also mess with your co-residents' schedules which isn't usually a nice thing to do.