This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frosted2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings friends,
As I have wrapped up my class and successfully passed registry (thank the LAWD) I figured I would come get some opinions/advice. I have had overwhelmingly positive feedback from my preceptors, but there is always room to improve IMO.

For those of you who were medics, what is something that you would have known during your first few shifts, months or years on the box? I'm looking for pearls that come with experience, stories or anything else that you feel I would be entertained by/appreciate reading. You all are the best :)

Thanks,

Em.

Members don't see this ad.

Most of your job will be bull****. (That's medicine in general)

The portion of it that isn't will be a mix of okay and wonderful.

The bull**** will wear you down.

The good calls, saves, and other high moments will keep you going.

EMS is rough. Medicine is rough. You might find out it's not for you, or you might find out you love it. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Most of your job will be bull****. (That's medicine in general)

The portion of it that isn't will be a mix of okay and wonderful.

The bull**** will wear you down.

The good calls, saves, and other high moments will keep you going.

EMS is rough. Medicine is rough. You might find out it's not for you, or you might find out you love it. Good luck.
@Mad Jack ! Great to hear from you :)
I've been an EMT-B for 6 years... so thankfully I have seen my fair share of BS. Getting my medic was a detour on the way to med school because I was not ready to grow up and make a decision just yet. Part of me wishes that I would have done things differently but then again, the other part is glad that I got my medic numbers. I guess we shall see how the cookie crumbles. I am hoping that it gives me some good talking points during interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just be nice. Tread lightly. You don't need to work up every patient. However, don't be skimpy because you want to get out of work on time. In other words, if you ever hear yourself saying, "this patient is faking", you need a break.

Just use your head. A lot of these people never have anyone be nice to them, ever. Some young 20 something EMS copping an attitude is just horrible. I'm thinking of the attitudinally challenged guys (mostly) I worked with 25 years ago.

Final pearl - now that you know how to do it, the key is knowing when not to.

You'll be fine.

Just be nice. Tread lightly. You don't need to work up every patient. However, don't be skimpy because you want to get out of work on time. In other words, if you ever hear yourself saying, "this patient is faking", you need a break.

Just use your head. A lot of these people never have anyone be nice to them, ever. Some young 20 something EMS copping an attitude is just horrible. I'm thinking of the attitudinally challenged guys (mostly) I worked with 25 years ago.

Final pearl - now that you know how to do it, the key is knowing when not to.

You'll be fine.

Working up every patient was something that I think I had a problem with during my field internship. One of my preceptors said that I did "too many 12 leads" or "ALSed too many calls" but I would rather explain why I did something versus why I didn't do something. Perhaps I could get better at ruling out the pertinent negatives and making more conservative care plans based on that.

Thanks for the words of wisdom @Apollyon :)

Last edited:
Working up every patient was something that I think I had a problem with during my field internship. One of my preceptors said that I did "too many 12 leads" or "ALSed too many calls" but I would rather explain why I did something versus why I didn't do something. Perhaps I could get better at ruling out the pertinent negatives and making more conservative care plans based on that.

Thanks for the words of wisdom @Apollyon :)
You're on track. Over treating is better than under treating.

1. It's always drugs
2. Look up what an "8-ball" is -- super careful on the narcan if their friends tell you "he did an 8-ball."

Be aggressive in your airway management & conservative with your drug admin decisions

For a viable arrest, have pressors mixed & hung *before* they come out of arrest, or at least have some push-dose in your pocket.

1. It's always drugs
2. Look up what an "8-ball" is -- super careful on the narcan if their friends tell you "he did an 8-ball."

Be aggressive in your airway management & conservative with your drug admin decisions

For a viable arrest, have pressors mixed & hung *before* they come out of arrest, or at least have some push-dose in your pocket.
Speaking of an arrest...
Had an interesting one today. It went from PEA --> beautiful sinus rhythm once we got ROSC then went into v-tach 6 times on separate occasions.

Speaking of an arrest...
Had an interesting one today. It went from PEA --> beautiful sinus rhythm once we got ROSC then went into v-tach 6 times on separate occasions.
Repurfusion rhythms can be funky! Congrats on running a legit call!

This one also popped into my head... if they're not sick (bs) have them walk into ambulance & sit in airway seat. Boom urban transport, no need to lift or change linens.