"Baby" Robbins - To buy or not to buy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathdr2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering which if any editon of "baby Robbins" you guys recommend. I think I read on another thread that one of these editions has bad info.

Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

"Baby" Robbins is fantastic. I have the 6th Edition and it serves me great as a companion to the 5th Edition "Big" Robbins that I own.

cheers

what is it you're referring to when you talk about baby robbins? i know there is the little robbins pocketbook that fits in your white coat. but i also recently found out about a book called "robbins basic pathology" which is about 1/2 the size of the big robbins text. (it was the main path text for a friend of mine in dental school.) i was thinking about getting this basic pathology book and reading it before i start my residency. anyone know anything about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by rads19
i know there is the little robbins pocketbook that fits in your white coat.

I'm referring to the pocketsized version. Thanks for the clarification!

If you are going into path residency, get big Robbins. Baby Robbins will be too basic for your needs.

Originally posted by BCMD
If you are going into path residency, get big Robbins. Baby Robbins will be too basic for your needs.

Thanks for the info. I have "big" Robbins already for my doctoral program in Path;) ) but I wondered if the pocketsize version was also useful. Carrying "big" Robbins around everyday because I don't know a dam thing yet is exhausting:D

I think BRS Path would be better for quick reference. Baby robbins is like a mini text, whereas brs is in outline format.

at our school we call them

big robbins: the biggest robbins there is
baby robbins: the middle sized robbins most m2's use
fetal robbins: the booksized book

an attending pathologist here, who incidently is a tool, thinks big robbins is basically useless for a resident

I would have to disagree with your path attending. Big Robbins is a very useful book. It has great descriptions and goes over the basic stuff that I forgot from 2nd year path. In fact, a practicing pathologist I know used Big Robbins and Rosai/Ackerman (surg path text) to pass the AP part of the path boards.

Big Robbins has a lot of stuff that other standard path texts (at least, surgical path texts)do not cover well. The Robbins chapters on Cardiac pathology and the early chapters on inflammation, hemostasis, etc and very well done, and I think essential to the knowledge of any well rounded physician, particularly pathologists. I ain't selling mine.

I'm no pathologist, but I'd think Robbins is too simple for a path resident.

I'm a first year pathology resident, and I think big robbins is great.

the surg path bible type books are a bit heavy on detail and make it difficult to get the "big picture" at this stage in my career. i look stuff up in them when necesary, but I am reading big robbins as my standard studying textbook.

-mrp

I agree mrpeters. Big Robbins is a good book.