Baccalaureate / Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Siadeug

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a girl living in Spain about to start Baccalaureate. When I finish it, I want to go to University in Canada (since I have Canadian citizenship and it's where my dad went to University).
Here in Spain you have several options for baccalaureate - the one I'd choose would be the scientific one, but within the scientific one you can either choose between:
A) Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics
B) Physics, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Biology
C) Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Technical Drawing
Obviously if I want to do Life Sciences at University and then go to med school I'm thinking I'll have to take option A) - but I have a dilemma. Just how important is Maths for med school? Maths is one of my worst subjects. My Maths teacher has a daughter studying Medicine here in Spain, and apparently here Maths isn't really necessary for med school - but what's the situation in Canada/North America in general? If I want to go to Med school there, will I have to have a very good grounding in maths?
Apart from that, I'm wondering about how I'm going to apply for University in Canada. I've heard most Universities you need to apply to very far in advance, and since the exams are in May/June, does that mean I'd have to wait till the next year to apply to a University?

Members don't see this ad.

In general you don't need that much math for medical school. Physics is a requirement, but you only have to take algebra-based physics (as opposed to calculus-based). The MCAT tests algebra-based physics.

Math requirements vary from school to school. You can get this information about North American (US and Canadian) schools by purchasing the MSAR: http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/msar.htm.

Many medical schools require you to complete Calculus I. However, there are a few (such as Harvard) that require you to finish Calculus II.