Bachelors Degree: Medical Technology vs Microbiology

Started by stephanieb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

stephanieb

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am working on my undergrad right now, and really want to go to pharmacy school after I get my bachelors. I am currently working on my pre-pharmacy courses as well. So, here is the deal. My major right now is Medical Technology. It will require me to go on a internship, and when I graduate I will be able to work in the hospital or lab as a Medical Technologist. It is stressful, and I have to make sure I get a good gpa to obtain an internship. Lately, I have been thinking of switching my major to Microbiology. There would be no internship requirement, and I would probably graduate a semester early. I am not sure what to do. I guess it comes down to, which degree will look better when I apply to pharmacy school?

Thank you very much!
Steph
 
I don't know that one degree looks better than the other to an admissions committee. If you want to work as a lab tech during pharmacy school, then consider finishing that degree. If you don't anticipate actually using that option, then I would switch to Micro without hesitation. It's all about what you want to do with the degree. If you're not going to work in a lab during pharmacy school, why jump through the extra hoops? :shrug: