Bachelor's Degree=PTA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrighterFuture

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a student has a bachelor's degree in: exercise biology, kinesiology, physiology, or exercise science and they wanted to become a licensed PTA (Physical Therapist Assistant) is there anyway the PTA process would/could be expedited? (i.e. Maybe like schooling for 1 year instead of the normal 2 year program, or just two classes etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the PTA degree should take you less time to complete since you should already have the pre-reqs. My guess would be about a 1 year depending on the school, 2 semesters of PTA courses and 1 semester for your internship.

I considered the PTA route at one point and I have a bachelor's degree completed-- along with all of the PTA pre-reqs for the program closest to my home.

The program near me is a 2-year program regardless of whether or not you have a 4-year degree. *NOTE* If you do not have classes like Anatomy & Physiology, Medical Terminology, English or Math done, you are technically looking at 3-years for the PTA program... as most applicants have these type of classes done before applying to the actual program. It's exactly the same scenario that an English major would encounter when applying for a PT program. They have a B.A. but they do not have the pre-reqs, so they need to take an extra year and do pre-reqs before applying to a PT program; hence, the 3-year program "technically" becomes a 4-year PT program.

When you are accepted into the program, you move through it with a cohort. I think you will find that most two-year applied science programs are like this (PTA, RN, Sonography, etc...). You can't skip semesters or move through it any faster than the person sitting next to you in class who has no degree. For the sake of clarity, you might have something like PTA Practicum I, PTA Practicum II, PTA Practicum III and PTA Practicum IV-- all of which you do in order, one per semester, with your cohort.

Some of your classmates may be completing "pre-req" type courses during the first semester (the program near me allows for the completion of humanities and social sciences courses after being admitted), while you will already have those done. So, perhaps they might be taking 16 credits and you might be taking 13.

All of this being said, if you already have a degree in exercise science (and probably have all of the pre-reqs for PT completed), you might want to strongly think about going PT and not PTA... it's just one more year (but unfortunately, a lot more money).

HTH

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@DPTinFL: That's what I was thinking but I wasn't quite sure because I couldn't find any information about applicants for potential PTA students with a Bachelor's Degree.

@Shallabie: What you're saying makes incredible sense and its also really unfortunate. I will be graduating December 2011 with a B.S. in Exercise Biology and I'll be applying to PT schools at that same time. But I was hoping that in the 6-8month period while I'm waiting to hear back from schools and before the MPT/DPT programs start (Jan-August) I could become certified as a PTA and work as a PTA (getting experience) part time while paying my way through PT school.

@Shellabie & DPTinFL:

1) Have you heard of any special PTA programs that cater to individuals with bachelor's degrees?

2) If not what's the best way to get PAID experience within the PT/Kinesiology/Exercise Science field?

3) Would you suggest that I get an Athletic Training certification or CSCS certification if being a PTA is not possible?

-Thanks.

@DPTinFL: That's what I was thinking but I wasn't quite sure because I couldn't find any information about applicants for potential PTA students with a Bachelor's Degree.

@Shallabie: What you're saying makes incredible sense and its also really unfortunate. I will be graduating December 2011 with a B.S. in Exercise Biology and I'll be applying to PT schools at that same time. But I was hoping that in the 6-8month period while I'm waiting to hear back from schools and before the MPT/DPT programs start (Jan-August) I could become certified as a PTA and work as a PTA (getting experience) part time while paying my way through PT school.

@Shellabie & DPTinFL:

1) Have you heard of any special PTA programs that cater to individuals with bachelor's degrees?

2) If not what's the best way to get PAID experience within the PT/Kinesiology/Exercise Science field?

3) Would you suggest that I get an Athletic Training certification or CSCS certification if being a PTA is not possible?

-Thanks.

Hi,
You seem somewhat confused, and naively optimistic which don't quite jive ATM.

If you want to become an athletic trainer you may take another 2 years on top of your degree because you did not go through a program even if some requisite classes overlap. Given your situation you may as well find a cheap instate DPT program and go from there.

Please give up your PTA dreams in 2 months ideal this is just not how it works, most all are 2 years and may have a waiting list of a year. Become a PT 'Aide' if you still want some experience in a PT clinic.

The quickest way it to get into an exercise field but not necessarily rehabilitation is to be a personal trainer and get clients to come to what ever gym you work at. You can make great money if you have the right personality and know a thing or two. It's just simple cert needed.

Actually, I'd enjoy your time off before you'll be busy by the time PT school starts, may be a bartender or cater. If you do it right you can make some great bank before PT school. You'd be doing yourself a disservice not to go to PT school unless your grades are really poor since you have a BSc already. Focus on what you need to get in, this will help your future long-term. Or apply OT if you want to go to a masters program.

Like healthcare and want to get in quick with decent pay become a CNA, phlebotomist, or possibly EMT (doubtful because of longer length) that training is much less time if you find the program.

Keep your eyes on the long term goal and really try hard and research these boards what you need to become a great MPT/DPT applicant. Keep that GPA up! :thumbup:

Become a PT 'Aide' if you still want some experience in a PT clinic.
Keep that GPA up! :thumbup:

I've tried to looks for employment for this position but I can never find it. Hospitals seem not to be hiring for this type of service (PTA aide). Do you have any suggestions of places to look?

Yeah my grades are definitely nothing to brag about but I'm hopeful and I will still apply. I have my sights set on schools who have lower GPA requirements and low application numbers.