PTA to PT, post BS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mufasa17

Reaction score
I know PTA to PT has been discussed very much already, however I don't think I've seen much if anything about anyone in my particular situation. I graduated with my B.S. degree last Spring (2017), prereqs are completed, and I am in the process of applying to grad schools, as well as a couple PTA programs.
I am applying for PTA for a few reasons; my undergrad GPA isn't great, so I'm concerned about getting in to PT school. Theoretically I would be fine with waiting another year, retaking more prereqs, retaking the GRE, etc., but I can't really survive on my current salary as a PT aide for very long, and my wife doesn't make much more than I do. Beyond that, because I have a B.S., the PTA program would only take me 1 year as opposed to 2, and obviously is much lower cost than grad school.
What I am planning to do if I end up going the PTA route, is to do that, work for a year or two, and apply for PT school again.
I don't really see this as financially viable, as I'd be paying the cost for the PTA program, and making 70-80k at the very most if I worked for two years. I see it more as A) better prep for myself for grad school, B) a way to boost how I look to grad schools, and C) as a fallback if PT school falls through.
No matter what happens, DPT is still the end goal.
Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

Members don't see this ad.

If DPT is the goal, then why take a year to complete a PTA program when you could take a year to retake pre-requisites and GRE? What are your stats and why aren't you applying to DPT programs this year?
I don't know any DPT program that will overlook low GPA and/or GRE scores because you are a PTA, so you will have to retake anyway.
If you really need to be employed and not be in school, then look into the very few PTA to DPT programs available. I suspect they are highly competitive.

Beyond that, because I have a B.S., the PTA program would only take me 1 year as opposed to 2.

Are you positive of that? (I am asking, not questioning). I'd double-check with the specific school you're applying to. APTA has curriculum requirements, and you also have to have so many weeks of clinicals. So I am not sure all of that can be compressed into 1 year.

Members don't see this ad :)
If DPT is the goal, then why take a year to complete a PTA program when you could take a year to retake pre-requisites and GRE? What are your stats and why aren't you applying to DPT programs this year?
I don't know any DPT program that will overlook low GPA and/or GRE scores because you are a PTA, so you will have to retake anyway.
If you really need to be employed and not be in school, then look into the very few PTA to DPT programs available. I suspect they are highly competitive.

I've already retaken some prereqs, A&P 1&2 and Physics 1&2.
Undergrad GPA-2.465 (I really slacked off my first 2 years; really biting me in the butt now)
I have a 4.0 in my retaken prereqs, which brings my total gpa up to 2.67
GRE scores are 155, 151, and 4.0.
More than plenty observation hours, in the realm of 700-800
I am applying to both DPT and PTA this year.

Are you positive of that? (I am asking, not questioning). I'd double-check with the specific school you're applying to. APTA has curriculum requirements, and you also have to have so many weeks of clinicals. So I am not sure all of that can be compressed into 1 year.
Yes, I've already cleared with the school it'll only take me one year. The way it's structured, the first year is essentially just prereqs with a few PTA specific classes thrown in the 2nd semester. So I guess it'll take me a 5 credit semester and a full time year.

Rowan College at Gloucester County, in Gloucester County NJ. Pretty much the only one near me.

Reactions: 1 user
I know PTA to PT has been discussed very much already, however I don't think I've seen much if anything about anyone in my particular situation. I graduated with my B.S. degree last Spring (2017), prereqs are completed, and I am in the process of applying to grad schools, as well as a couple PTA programs.
I am applying for PTA for a few reasons; my undergrad GPA isn't great, so I'm concerned about getting in to PT school. Theoretically I would be fine with waiting another year, retaking more prereqs, retaking the GRE, etc., but I can't really survive on my current salary as a PT aide for very long, and my wife doesn't make much more than I do. Beyond that, because I have a B.S., the PTA program would only take me 1 year as opposed to 2, and obviously is much lower cost than grad school.
What I am planning to do if I end up going the PTA route, is to do that, work for a year or two, and apply for PT school again.
I don't really see this as financially viable, as I'd be paying the cost for the PTA program, and making 70-80k at the very most if I worked for two years. I see it more as A) better prep for myself for grad school, B) a way to boost how I look to grad schools, and C) as a fallback if PT school falls through.
No matter what happens, DPT is still the end goal.
Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

Go for it! I've done this and am currently in DPT school. DM me if you have any questions!

I personally think people do not need to/should not go through PTA program if their final goal is to be PT. Reasons: extra debt for PTA program. PT schools do not care if you have any background related to PT as long as you meet their minimal requirements (you can be a sociology major with completed pre-reqs and 150h of observation hours).

Did you consider an option of working outside of PT for a year to make more money than a PT aide and then get to PT school next year?
How low are your stats? Consider school that are less competitive and look at the last 50-100 units GPA only. Schools that do not require GRE. Also consider online PT programs: you can work part-time and be in PT school then.

During one of my interviews, one of the professors started whispering, "Let me ask you this: if you don't get into any of the schools that you applied to, what would you do?" And I kind of froze for a second. I started to think about sayings that I would go into PTA, but if the goal is PT, don't lose hope! I've met several PTAs that are happy with their roles, but I've also met a few that wished that they had pursued the DPT instead.

My initial undergrad GPA was 2.56. 11 years later I took 51 credits in 16 months (all prereqs), and got As in all of my courses to bring my GPA to 2.98. During this time I did all my volunteering with 70 hours in outpatient and 95 hours in an acute hospital setting. I studied for the GRE for 3 weeks and did as well as I could (154 quant, 156 qual, 4.5 writing. After these 16 months I had used all my savings an had to start working again. If I didn't get into programs, I would have used my weekends to make PT happen. Use all the resources you can to make your dreams come true. Grind yourself down, find your mettle!