Bachelor's Degrees for all Pre-Dental students?

Started by cnano
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cnano

Cnano
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm new to this site. I have a question for students who are still working to get their Bachelor degrees or students who are already in Dental school. I'm a student in second year of college who is still confused about what major to go for. Recently on my first year of college I went for the Dental Assistant Program and gotten a certificate after the program is over and passed my exams and I am now a Registered Dental Asistant. But in the future I want to become a Dentist.To prepere myself to get into Dental school o have some questions. I heard that you dont have to be a science major to get into Dental school, but at least get some foundation in sciences such as: general chemistry, organic chemistry, and other biology classes. But I heard friends of mine back to back says that you have to major in Biology or Biochemistry. I need help from anybody in the forum to clarify me so I can decide what to do next. Also can everyone post their majors on which everyone receive their Bachelor's or will receive their Bachelor very soon? Help! 🙁
 
i think you can major into anything you like, as long as you take enough science classes to satisfy the pre-dental requirements. Also some courses that allow for practice of manual dexterity such as sculpture, ceramics, playing a musical instrument, like a violin, would definitely help.
____________________________________________
BA in Classical Studies/Sociology
 
im a zoology major, and while i think it will help me to have so much science background when i get to D school, i'm annoyed at all the extra classes i've had to take. if i could do it over i would choose a diff major and just minor in a science.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
im a zoology major, and while i think it will help me to have so much science background when i get to D school, i'm annoyed at all the extra classes i've had to take. if i could do it over i would choose a diff major and just minor in a science.

I will have agree with this one.
I do not have a degree yet, but I am currently in Chem.
Although this made me spend less time studying for chem related stuff for DAT, I envy ones who are in arts program or even in general science. It seems its harder to do well in a required major course than any other courses. I am sure my gpa would be higher if I was not in Chem.
 
I just sat down and looked at the pre-reqs for Dental schools. 1 yr. gen chem, 1 yr O chem, 1 yr Bio, etc. I just figured for a few more classes, I could be a Bio major. That way..if I don't get in a chosen dental school, I'll still have the opportunity to be in the medical field.
 
^ make sure to check the pre re's at all the schools you would like to apply too. For example, I believe UofP requires 4 semesters of bio.
 
Do you guys think a B.S. in Bio or a science with a good GPA gives the applicant an edge over non-science majors? What about an addition Psychology minor for example..... ?
 
I think it actually gives you an edge to be a non-science major. No one on an admissions committee cares if you can name the genus and species of their pet spiders...

Admissions committees like "real" and well-rounded people. If you can do well enough in science classes and still be an ECON or a Dance major, you should go for it because chem and bio major students are a dime a dozen - or just do your pre-reqs and don't graduate. That worked well for me!
 
Chemical Engineering Major Class of 2010
-or-
If accepted this cycle quick switch to Biological Sciences class of 2009