Bachelors in Pharmaceutical Science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

healthiswealth88

Reaction score
So I am a pharmacy student. I just finished my first year and am now doing my rotations. For a number of reasons, I’ve come to the decision that I don’t want to pursue a degree in pharmacy (PharmD.). After 2 years in my 4-year pharmacy program, we are given a Bachelor’s in pharmaceutical sciences degree. I’m strongly considering staying for the second year, getting my bachelor’s degree and discontinuing pharmacy school.

My Question is: What can you do with a bachelor in pharmaceutical science degree? And if anybody has experience with this degree, what did you do?

Members don't see this ad.

So I am a pharmacy student. I just finished my first year and am now doing my rotations. For a number of reasons, I’ve come to the decision that I don’t want to pursue a degree in pharmacy (PharmD.). After 2 years in my 4-year pharmacy program, we are given a Bachelor’s in pharmaceutical sciences degree. I’m strongly considering staying for the second year, getting my bachelor’s degree and discontinuing pharmacy school.

My Question is: What can you do with a bachelor in pharmaceutical science degree? And if anybody has experience with this degree, what did you do?
honestly most of the degrees don't mean much - they are there to make the schools undergrad graduation rates look better - smart move to not go into pharmacy, but leave now

Reactions: 2 users
honestly most of the degrees don't mean much - they are there to make the schools undergrad graduation rates look better - smart move to not go into pharmacy, but leave now
So you’re saying I shouldn’t even pursue the bachelors?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are considering med school it would give you a leg up over other applicants

If you are considering med school it would give you a leg up over other applicants
would a batchelors degree that only took 2 years to get accomplish that? Do you have another degree? don't spend another year of tuition in a terminal degree program that you don't intend to complete

would a batchelors degree that only took 2 years to get accomplish that? Do you have another degree? don't spend another year of tuition in a terminal degree program that you don't intend to complete
Tbh I don’t really want to stay in school. If I had to though I would either pursue something biochem related or possibly medicine. But idk what kind of careers there are for biochem majors.

Also, technically that bachelors takes 4 years to achieve. Pre-req years still count in my book lol.

I should also mention that I’m 21, and this is only my 3rd year in school. I just know that pharmacy is not the profession for me. I’m honestly in it because I thought it would be the easiest/fastest way to get a doctorate in a healthcare setting. I’ve never seen it as something that I would do long-term and I think that I should make room for people who are actually passionate about pharmacy.

Why waste another year of your life and of tuition money for a degree you have no desire to use? First decide what you want to do with your life, then the decision can be made

Reactions: 1 user
Nowadays you can't really do much with a Bachelor's degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences. If you want to be a pharmacist, you'll be competing against PharmD.'s. Since you stated that pharmacy is not the profession for you, then I highly suggest to switch majors into something that you're truly interested in.

Bachelors in Pharmaceutical Science = lab work with very little upward mobility because the field is dominated by PhDs. Either you work in academia as a lab assistant or you work in pharma as a lab assistant.

Most people use it as a stepping stone for PhD or MD with perhaps an interim Masters.

I don’t think it’s a bad decision, but as written previously you should consider what your goals are and work toward those, otherwise you’ll keep floating around. If I were you, I’d get the BS and Master in a field you’d like to work in - biomed engineering, public health, data science etc etc. You’ll need to find an internship or two also sometime during the BS/MSc

I really doubt a biology degree would look better than a bs in pharm sciences as a premed degree. You pretty much go through pharmacy school and learn about everything else in med school so admit committees would be more impressed with a health related degree

I would stick it out for the bachelors just so you have something to show for your years in college. It will also make it much easier to apply to medical school or other graduate programs down the line. In terms of employment opportunities you're looking at dead-end science jobs like lab assistant, data entry, etc. Can you change majors and get a bachelors in something you're more interested in or that has better job prospects, such as engineering or computer science?