Back from DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dougiefresh27

DMU Class 2011
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all that offered info on the DMU admissions. I did find out when I was there that you do interview on Friday and then you call on Tuesday afternoon to find out your status.

I was so impressed with the school, the people and the process at DMU. I hope they have good news for me like Scholl did. The cost of living in Des Moines is so much better than in N. Chicago.

Looks like Arizona is finally contacting people. I had a no thank you from them but that is fine.

Happy interviewing.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for all that offered info on the DMU admissions. I did find out when I was there that you do interview on Friday and then you call on Tuesday afternoon to find out your status.

I was so impressed with the school, the people and the process at DMU. I hope they have good news for me like Scholl did. The cost of living in Des Moines is so much better than in N. Chicago.

Looks like Arizona is finally contacting people. I had a no thank you from them but that is fine.

Happy interviewing.:)

I'm going to take a wild guess. You were the ex-teacher from Friday's interview??:idea:

Hi Tea,
Yes that is me. What were your thoughts on DMU? How about your preferences?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool! My interview with DMU is in 1.5 weeks. How many ppl were in your group?

My AZPOD interview is this Tues, have to fly out to Phoneix tomorrow :D Really excited but sorta nervous since this is my top choice school. But who knows, it may change when I see DMU :p

We had 8 in our group. Many commented that it was a large group. There were two rooms for interviews each having two instructors in them. You go one at a time to either of the two rooms, interview, very low key then a knock on the door when your time is up to keep things going. Interviews seem to be more of a formallity or to help them decide if you are on the edge. Every possible question was answered and most before you asked them. Good luck. PM if I can be of further help.

Hi Tea,
Yes that is me. What were your thoughts on DMU? How about your preferences?

I really like DMU. I love the neighborhood that the campus is located in and I like that the campus is small. It is also nice that the apartments surround the campus. I've already thought about looking into purchasing a condo somewhere in Des Moines.

It was also very nice that they warned us about the first year of basic sciences. It does make me nervous that the first year class is going to be huge but I have good feelings about DMU. I'm glad that DPMs are integrated with DOs and hopefully both professions will learn a lot from each other. Comparing between Scholl's and DMU...well DMU has more affordable housing. As far as the curriculum, I think both are comparable. I think I'm nore confused than ever now. :confused:

What did they say about the first year science classes? Also, what are some townhome names or condo names where you have looked at purchasing?

If anyone is looking to buy a townhome in the burbs. I've got a line on a very good deal. 2 bdrm, 2bath w/ unfinished basement, ranch townhome. No association fees and a nice yard. It is my neighbor and they are an elderly couple who aren't in a hurry to sell b/c they don't need the money. PM me if anyone would like more info.

Hey Dr. Feelgood,

I have a question. Everyone from DMU talks about how hard it is there which makes it a great school and that it takes a lot of time to do well but I find that the students from DMU post more on SDN than anyone else. How do you find the time or is it not as hard as you say? Dont you have studying to do? LOL.

Hey Dr. Feelgood,

I have a question. Everyone from DMU talks about how hard it is there which makes it a great school and that it takes a lot of time to do well but I find that the students from DMU post more on SDN than anyone else. How do you find the time or is it not as hard as you say? Dont you have studying to do? LOL.

Feelgood's a brain. :laugh: On a more serious note, you can find time to do whatever you want, you just have to be willing to sacrifice a few other things. Feelgood sacrifices sleep. Simple as that.

I am the living dead. I also survived the 1st and 2nd year so I have more time to read. Unfortunately I get distracted by SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
What did they say about the first year science classes? Also, what are some townhome names or condo names where you have looked at purchasing?

First year sciences are going to be loaded. Just lots and lots of material. I'm currently browsing the immediate area of Des Moines for places. I will be looking furthur into it sometime next year.

tea_tu,
you say the 1st yr. science classes are loaded? do you or any of the zombies:) know which classes will best prep for the rigor of the class? I assume that it is farther advanced than the usual A&P/Biochem you have in college. I am now a public administration major and am planning on the bare min. on pre-reqs. should I try to add more science and if so what? -not trying to steal the thread.

tea_tu,
you say the 1st yr. science classes are loaded? do you or any of the zombies:) know which classes will best prep for the rigor of the class? I assume that it is farther advanced than the usual A&P/Biochem you have in college. I am now a public administration major and am planning on the bare min. on pre-reqs. should I try to add more science and if so what? -not trying to steal the thread.

As a first year at DMU, currently in the throws of anatomy (head and neck test on monday) I'd say that for biochem, you don't really need to do anything extra, if you can take an undergrad biochem, great, it does help, but the class is REALLY REALLY well taught, you get a course pack with all the notes, everything is spelled out ot what you need to know and learn, you can obtain old tests, etc., etc. As for anatomy, I never took it in ugrad and I'm currently not having any problems, yet, you just gotta study; but my buddies here that had anatomy in ugrad said that it is a lot more in depth. Basically, nothing in undergrad can prepare you for the onslaught of the classes you take, they can prep you, but it will be a shock when you get into it in depth. You just gotta study, studying directly correlates with good grades, the people in my class right now that didn't take it serious and didn't study aren't doing that hot (with some exceptions and vice versa). Hope that helps, DMU is awesome though. You'll get THE BEST podiatric medical education in the United States, if not the World here, no joke.

As a first year at DMU, currently in the throws of anatomy (head and neck test on monday) I'd say that for biochem, you don't really need to do anything extra, if you can take an undergrad biochem, great, it does help, but the class is REALLY REALLY well taught, you get a course pack with all the notes, everything is spelled out ot what you need to know and learn, you can obtain old tests, etc., etc. As for anatomy, I never took it in ugrad and I'm currently not having any problems, yet, you just gotta study; but my buddies here that had anatomy in ugrad said that it is a lot more in depth. Basically, nothing in undergrad can prepare you for the onslaught of the classes you take, they can prep you, but it will be a shock when you get into it in depth. You just gotta study, studying directly correlates with good grades, the people in my class right now that didn't take it serious and didn't study aren't doing that hot (with some exceptions and vice versa). Hope that helps, DMU is awesome though. You'll get THE BEST podiatric medical education in the United States, if not the World here, no joke.

haha... as a fellow classmate of densmore22, i was actually going to reply by saying it WOULD be beneficial to take biochemistry/anatomy (i don't know about any other courses yet) before coming to pod school.

i definitely agree that biochemistry was a great course, but as you know, there is a LOT of material to cover in a very short time. i would recommend taking an anatomy course FOR SURE - although densmore22 is finding it okay, we didn't even go through a lot of "basics" to begin with.

i think just being exposed to some of the material/terminology in undergrad has really helped me with cutting down on the amount of studying i have had to do here so far (not to mention my stress!!!), because i had already gone through the motions of understanding/learning at least SOME of the material, prior to starting here.

so basically, i'm saying i think it would be beneficial in the long run (i.e. when you get here!) to take the effort to learn the stuff in undergrad first if you have the opportunity to do so.

How do you know its the best without official ranking?

Its an opinion. Eveything on this forum is. :) Even if an "official" raking surfaced, it would still be an opinion of the authors. I think the better question to ask is, "why do you think its the best?"

I think its the best school because they give me M&Ms while I operate. Happy stomach=Happy surgeon.

If they sure up M&Ms during operation sign me up! Thanks for the advice. Anything extra from 3/4 yr and from any other schools? side note: I saw a shirt today with a cow bell;saying "more cow bell." good shirt. Fellgood was in my thoughts. :eek: that sounds bad:D

If they sure up M&Ms during operation sign me up! Thanks for the advice. Anything extra from 3/4 yr and from any other schools? side note: I saw a shirt today with a cow bell;saying "more cow bell." good shirt. Fellgood was in my thoughts. :eek: that sounds bad:D

That was me. I'm following you.

So are you following me for my good looks or is it a random SDN scare :smuggrin: job? Either way a stalker:love: !!! Lol

How do you know its the best without official ranking?

Good lord, do we seriously have to go through this again????? It's my opinion, but talk to others too. I just met with the APMA board members and although they can't officially tell us there opinions about each school, you most definitely can "read between the lines." Final response by me, trash me, belittle me, do whatever. IT'S ALL JUST OPINIONS!!!!!

Good lord, do we seriously have to go through this again????? It's my opinion, but talk to others too. I just met with the APMA board members and although they can't officially tell us there opinions about each school, you most definitely can "read between the lines." Final response by me, trash me, belittle me, do whatever. IT'S ALL JUST OPINIONS!!!!!

yeah Yeah we know. YOu go to DMU so you say its the best. He goes to scholl so he says its the best. He goes to the medical school in the carribean so he says its the best.

yeah Yeah we know. YOu go to DMU so you say its the best. He goes to scholl so he says its the best. He goes to the medical school in the carribean so he says its the best.

One of my friends went to a Caribbean Medical School...............for 17 hours. She definately doens't think it's the best.

Des Moines here I come! Flying out tomorrow. Man 6 hr flight total :(