back to back interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spf15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have interviews at two NY schools. I get to pick my second interview date. I can either have it back-to-back (one on Wednesday, the other on Thursday) or I could have one on Thursday and wait until Monday to have the next one, since I can stay at a friend's house over the weekend. Friday interviews aren't offered, unfortunately.

I'm thinking of scheduling on Wednesday since that will mean I won't need to miss class on Friday and Monday, but I also don't want to be tired for my interview.

I haven't interviewed anywhere yet, so can anybody with more experience let me know if it is a bad idea to have two interviews back to back? They seem like really long interview days and I'm not sure if they're very tiring.

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

They are long but no it's not too tiring. You won't get totally burnt ot out anything. Just make sure to spend that night reflecting about your interview and what you can do to improve for the next one. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

I'd space them out and do the Thursday/Monday. The last thing you want to do is potentially bomb your Wednesday interview and let the guilt/depression carry over to your Thursday interview. I'd do the Thursday one and then spend a few days resting and figuring out how to nail the next one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd do them back to back hands down. Get them over with. The days are usually only like 6 hours or so, I'm sure you can handle it.

I did a back to back in two different cities recently and it was no issue at all.

I did a back to back in two different cities recently and it was no issue at all.

+1. It's tiring, but nothing overwhelming. I'd say studying for an orgo exam was way harder. :)

It's definitely possible. I did two interviews in two days last year in NC, and I performed much better on the second day, so I don't think having had an interview the day before hurt me in that regard. However, I was quite exhausted by the end of the second interview day...probably the most exhausted I ever was after any of the 10 interview days I attended.

I did two sets of back to backs and it's not too bad at all. Especially in the same city. Just try to forget about your interview the day before :) Good luck!

I had three interviews back to back one was at Harvard, then Columbia, and Mayo, I canceled my interview with Stanford though. So it's possible.

I had three interviews back to back one was at Harvard, then Columbia, and Mayo, I canceled my interview with Stanford though. So it's possible.

Nice name dropping. Love the subtlety.

Unless you want to spend that extra time in NYC (which I would since it's such an awesome city), you should be fine doing back to back interviews. They just simply aren't that demanding.

(sent from my phone)

I had Hopkins, Harvard, and Chicago on the same day. I ended up skipping all 3 to go to Ross. The Caribbean was lovely in case you were wondering.

Members don't see this ad :)
i did 3 in a row in nyc last year. wasnt tiring at all, and it was fun.

I'd space them out and do the Thursday/Monday. The last thing you want to do is potentially bomb your Wednesday interview and let the guilt/depression carry over to your Thursday interview. I'd do the Thursday one and then spend a few days resting and figuring out how to nail the next one.

Agreed back to back only if you need to save money.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I had Hopkins, Harvard, and Chicago on the same day. I ended up skipping all 3 to go to Ross. The Caribbean was lovely in case you were

Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Okay. They'd also be my first interviews so I'm all-around nervous. But thanks for the input.

Okay. They'd also be my first interviews so I'm all-around nervous. But thanks for the input.

I thank many posters missed this, unless they don't think it's important.

In all seriousness it depends what type of person you are. It sounds like back to back interviews aren't that exhausting and they are doable. You have to think about your first interview, are you the type of person who if you bomb your first one you are going to be shaken up and bomb your second one too. Or are you the type of person who will take it at a learning experience and start the next day a new. Either way I believe you will be fine and rape them both whatever you decide to do.

I thank many posters missed this, unless they don't think it's important.

If you're the kind of person that is going to allow your performance in an interview the previous day to significantly impact your performance that day, doing an interview the next day vs. four days later probably isn't going to make a difference.

Yeah I did back to back also. The good thing is that you can stay in that same interview mindset, not miss too much school, learn from your first interview, also you don't have to untie your tie.

Last edited:
If you're the kind of person that is going to allow your performance in an interview the previous day to significantly impact your performance that day, doing an interview the next day vs. four days later probably isn't going to make a difference.

The OP has no idea if he is that kind of person since he made it a point to mention that he's never interviewed before and is nervous (though most are probably in the same position). Post-interview feelings aren't so black or white since everyone handles it differently. As long as he isn't short on money or missing 2 days of class won't affect his grades that much, I don't see how a 3-day break between interviews can hurt him.

The OP has no idea if he is that kind of person since he made it a point to mention that he's never interviewed before and is nervous (though most are probably in the same position). Post-interview feelings aren't so black or white since everyone handles it differently. As long as he isn't short on money or missing 2 days of class won't affect his grades that much, I don't see how a 3-day break between interviews can hurt him.

Maybe, maybe not. I suppose I just think it's ridiculous and a bit overkill to have a three day break between interviews. This isn't running a marathon or a presidential debate.

I did four interviews in september and I'm burnt out. Maybe its because of the traveling.. maybe it's because of the actual interviewing. All I know is, it's exhausting and I suggest spacing them out.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile