Back to community college to finish DPT Pre reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DPTMePlease

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, so some background info: I transferred from a CC after two years (a few credits short of an associates) to a 4 year university, and ended with a 3.96 GPA. I've changed my major three times since transferring, and I'm now an exercise science major looking to go into a DPT program, except my GPA here is way too low, I'd be lucky to get it up to 2.5 by the time I graduate. Last year I was just apathetic but this year I've been struggling with depression which has produced lack luster performances in school. Since I haven't taken many pre reqs for DPT programs, I was thinking I'd finish out my major here, get the best GPA I can, and finish my pre reqs at the community college I transferred from, and strive to get all A's in those classes, study for and take the GRE, get observation hours, etc. and make the best application I can, looking mainly at schools that take into account only pre req GPA - was thinking Boston University (and if my cumulative GPA is 3.0 or more, that opens up my options too) However, I'm now wondering if I will be allowed to go back and take all of these pre reqs, as I'm not sure if there's a limit on the amount of credits I could take at a community college. I do plan on speaking with an advisor but I'm wondering if anyone here has any advice/thoughts.
 
I don't see why you would have a problem taking prereqs at the community college, and the vast majority of DPT programs that I've looked at don't care whether you took prereqs at a CC or a four year university. Are you thinking that the community college itself might limit the amount of courses that they'd allow you to take at their institution? I think this is unlikely, though you might be categorized differently. Check with your cc advisor to see. If for some reason they won't let you take classes (which would be super strange), perhaps you could find another community college to take classes at?

It sounds like you're off to a good start re: your plans for improving your application. If you haven't already, I'd also suggest taking a look at some of the past threads in the "Low GPA" section of the Frequently Asked Questions post to see what has been suggested to past applicants with low cum GPAs.
 
I don't see why you would have a problem taking prereqs at the community college, and the vast majority of DPT programs that I've looked at don't care whether you took prereqs at a CC or a four year university. Are you thinking that the community college itself might limit the amount of courses that they'd allow you to take at their institution? I think this is unlikely, though you might be categorized differently. Check with your cc advisor to see. If for some reason they won't let you take classes (which would be super strange), perhaps you could find another community college to take classes at?

It sounds like you're off to a good start re: your plans for improving your application. If you haven't already, I'd also suggest taking a look at some of the past threads in the "Low GPA" section of the Frequently Asked Questions post to see what has been suggested to past applicants with low cum GPAs.

Yeah that's my worry, that there is some sort of limit to classes I could take (towards an associates I guess) although in this case I would just be taking sciences and not really any sort of associates degree track. So I'll just have to ask them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took all my pre-reqs at community college. I just got into Belmont, which is harder than average to get into (avg. GPA around 3.8, I believe). They didn't say anything about it in the interview.
 
Check into the school you want to apply to, because many schools require the prereqs be taken at a 4 year university
 
I took Biology 1 & 2, Chemistry 1 &2, and Physics 1&2 all at my community college post-grad (I wasn't interested in PT during undergrad so I didn't have any basic sciences). I took these courses as a non-degree student--I would look into this option so you don't run into any course limit. You still earn credit and I had no issues thus far applying with these courses at a CC. I have only heard from one school--Northwestern--but was accepted and have/had interviews at 3 others (Creighton, George Washington, and Des Moines). I think it's a great option especially if you strive for As in your remaining pre-reqs. I had a 3.4 undergrad GPA, but have a 4.0 post-bacc and strong GRE scores that I believe made up for this on my application. Good luck!
 
Check into the school you want to apply to, because many schools require the prereqs be taken at a 4 year university

I'm looking specifically into Boston University and it just says "taken at the college level" ... I'm assuming that means as long as it's a regionally accredited institution, it's fine, right?
 
I'm looking specifically into Boston University and it just says "taken at the college level" ... I'm assuming that means as long as it's a regionally accredited institution, it's fine, right?
I would call their admissions department and ask just to make sure! Also I've heard Boston university specifically looks mostly at gpas and great because they don't hold interviews! Hope this helps!
 
I'm looking specifically into Boston University and it just says "taken at the college level" ... I'm assuming that means as long as it's a regionally accredited institution, it's fine, right?

I can verify that BU accepts CC prereqs.. I took some of mine at CC and I am a student there now. GL!
 
I can verify that BU accepts CC prereqs.. I took some of mine at CC and I am a student there now. GL!
@PTpursuit: This is unrelated, but since you're a student at BU, I thought I'd ask: I'm considering applying to BU, but won't be able to afford the tuition sticker-price. I know they offer some scholarships (need and merit-based)- do you happen to know what the size of the scholarships they offer are, at least approximately?

Thanks!
 
@PTpursuit: This is unrelated, but since you're a student at BU, I thought I'd ask: I'm considering applying to BU, but won't be able to afford the tuition sticker-price. I know they offer some scholarships (need and merit-based)- do you happen to know what the size of the scholarships they offer are, at least approximately?

Thanks!

Hey there, I know the tuition is hefty.. But I actually received $7,000 a year in need-based... Idk if I can qualify for more or not eventually. I had friends who received $10,000 a year in need-based. Had another friend who received something like $15,000.. But he failed gross anatomy the first time in the summer.. So I am not sure how they calculate who gets what. I am 24 so I didn't have to report my mom and dad's income.. But I hardly made any money (I was a PT aide making $11 an hour). I say go for it.. You never know. I had limited options on applying because at the time my overall GPA was a little under a 3.0 (which is cut-off for many programs).. Prereq GPA only schools were my saving grace. I was wait-listed at my alma-mater and state school -__-
 
Check into the school you want to apply to, because many schools require the prereqs be taken at a 4 year university

It is very very rare to find a school that does not accept community college courses for pre reqs. Even medical schools accept their pre reqs from community colleges. You do understand that community college teaches the same course, with the same books and sometimes it's the same professors from the a 4 year school. Some 4 year schools are merged with community colleges as well and have the same name. The students bounce back and forth between the schools to reduce cost or course availability.

The thought that community college is somehow inferior is not shared by college admissions or grad school admissions. Even Georgia Tech, the best public engineering school in the country accepts students from community college.

I took all my pre-reqs at community college and received interviews from every school I applied and I only applied to 3 extremely competitive programs. I have also already been accepted to one and am waiting on interviews with the others.
 
It is very very rare to find a school that does not accept community college courses for pre reqs. Even medical schools accept their pre reqs from community colleges. You do understand that community college teaches the same course, with the same books and sometimes it's the same professors from the a 4 year school. Some 4 year schools are merged with community colleges as well and have the same name. The students bounce back and forth between the schools to reduce cost or course availability.

The thought that community college is somehow inferior is not shared by college admissions or grad school admissions. Even Georgia Tech, the best public engineering school in the country accepts students from community college.

I took all my pre-reqs at community college and received interviews from every school I applied and I only applied to 3 extremely competitive programs. I have also already been accepted to one and am waiting on interviews with the others.
That's awesome!! Yeah I guess that's just what I always heard from my counselors but good on you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad