Back To The Future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icebreakers

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does the future hold for the pM&r?

jobs? salaries? increased scope? more referals? decreased reimbursement?
\
are physiatrists going to risk losing jobs to any nurses/physical therapists/etc. who can take their jobs under the arm of another physiatrist (as is happening in anesthesiology)? are physiatrists replaceable by cheaper fields?

also, is it recommended to do research to get into a top pm&r program? would it help?

Members don't see this ad.

icebreakers said:
also, is it recommended to do research to get into a top pm&r program? would it help?

Anything that makes you more attractive than the next candidate is going to help you in the application process. It definitely wouldn't hurt, but I don't think you need it to get into top PM&R programs. Several people I know (myself included) don't have any research experience, but that hasn't stopped some of the "top PM&R programs" from extending interview invites to us. Of course I realize interviewing and matching are two different things. Some people I know that have matched within the last two years into top PM&R programs (RIC, Moss, U of M, and the list goes on) had no research experience, but one thing that they all admit to having was a kick-ass letter from a "known" physiatrist. Physiatry is a small field and those involved with the academic aspect all seem to know one another. Of the interviews I've had so far, no one has brought up my lack of research, but they all mentioned a letter written by a highly respected physiatrist. So basically, if research is your thing, go for it. If not work your butt off during your PM&R rotation(s) and network as much as you can. Of course take all of this with a grain of salt since I'm an MS-IV who has yet to match.

Mystique said:
Anything that makes you more attractive than the next candidate is going to help you in the application process. It definitely wouldn't hurt, but I don't think you need it to get into top PM&R programs. Several people I know (myself included) don't have any research experience, but that hasn't stopped some of the "top PM&R programs" from extending interview invites to us. Of course I realize interviewing and matching are two different things. Some people I know that have matched within the last two years into top PM&R programs (RIC, Moss, U of M, and the list goes on) had no research experience, but one thing that they all admit to having was a kick-ass letter from a "known" physiatrist. Physiatry is a small field and those involved with the academic aspect all seem to know one another. Of the interviews I've had so far, no one has brought up my lack of research, but they all mentioned a letter written by a highly respected physiatrist. So basically, if research is your thing, go for it. If not work your butt off during your PM&R rotation(s) and network as much as you can. Of course take all of this with a grain of salt since I'm an MS-IV who has yet to match.

I agree with Mystique that a "name" LOR helps. I got one of those and look where it got me!! :laugh:

In terms of research, I think there is a huge push within the field of PM&R and also some external forces looking for more research in the field. Outcomes research as well as other research help support our field and what we do for our patients. Many of the residencies in the country (RIC included) are looking for people interested in research and maybe even the K-12 grant. http://www.physiatry.org/research/index.html Any research experience can only help.