back up plan-for post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
my cumulative gpa by the end of spring semester should be a 2.9
this is also my last semester and i have applied to 1 (informal) post bacc program and waiting to hear back for an interview

in the chance that i do not get into that program i want to take 2-3 upper division science courses at a CSU in the fall as well as spring

will this be enough to compensate for a year of post-bacc work?

and since I'm done with all my pre-reqs i think i will use this summer to start studying for my DATs

i think it just hit me today that my app may not have been the strongest one for the SFSU program and despite solid LORs, personal statement and work/ECs that gpa of 2.68 may have been a deal breaker

any other alternative options out there?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Why not consider applying to other postbacc programs? It may not be too late to get into one for the fall though I don't know the deadlines. Otherwise I'd probably do exactly what you're doing. Essentially taking classes after completion of your degree is postbacc work.

Bro start prepping to take the GRE or DAT for your first time, and apply to UMDNJ Biomedical sciences program. I've seen applicants with similar scores to you get in, and It's a great program for dental school. good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Bro start prepping to take the GRE or DAT for your first time, and apply to UMDNJ Biomedical sciences program. I've seen applicants with similar scores to you get in, and It's a great program for dental school. good luck

i don't know-the cost of moving across country for a year isn't that appealing-and I've been to the easy coast-not a fan at all. my justification for this may seem stupid but thats how i feel. honestly i can't seem to push myself to apply for more programs at this point. I'm graduating in may and already have a huge courseload-the application for that program is due in june and i don't know if less than a month is ideal for studying for the GRE-bad test taker as it is so i would def need more than a month!

I've already been looking into summer courses and think i may just continue taking upper division sci courses and strengthening that undergrad app. hopefully a year of this and i can apply to d-school after that.

by my calculation 34 more credits will put me at a 3.0. if i can balance that with a very strong DAT score (its going to be brutal work) will put me in the running for the d-schools here in cali

its gonna be a long ride!

you should find out on this, but CSU is EXTREMELY hard to get classes nowdays. I'm attending CSUN, and they froze the term for admission of transfer students due to budget cut, next spring. That should explain how limited the seats are. Sorry to discourage you, but my honest opinion is, it's better to look SMP programs like others mentioned. i.e. UMDNJ one

you should find out on this, but CSU is EXTREMELY hard to get classes nowdays. I'm attending CSUN, and they froze the term for admission of transfer students due to budget cut, next spring. That should explain how limited the seats are. Sorry to discourage you, but my honest opinion is, it's better to look SMP programs like others mentioned. i.e. UMDNJ one

yeah my brother goes there and was telling me about that.

i looked into csu channel islands and it seems they are open for summer enrollment for open students..so just gonna see. if worse comes to I'm gonna have to come back to my private school for classes. ouch :(

Dude my advice to your, Is stay at your current institution and take more Biology classes. You should get your undergraduate up to a 3.0, so you don't have that 2** blemish on your aadsas report forever. If your a bio major you could switch to biochemistry or you could just continue taking up level biology classes until your ready to apply to a masters program the following year or something.

I agree, you should probably try for a sciences masters if not the other choices.

an informal post bacc has no GPA requirement, since its not a formal program and will probably be the best route to take. You simply need to increase your GPA and take it from there. Formal vs. informal doesnt enhance chances at admissions to most dental schools, marginal differences dont justify the cost or time commitment in most instances.