Back-up plan for surgical specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cadingcading

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you applying to surgical specialties and cannot see yourself doing anything else. What is your back-up plan? Do you apply for a TRI or prelim?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll attempt to SOAP a prelim and reapply to the surgical field again and probably dual apply DR as well.

Disaster scenario after that is FM and then going to work in rural mountain town America and be a fishing/hunting hermit.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll attempt to SOAP a prelim and reapply to the surgical field again and probably dual apply DR as well.

Disaster scenario after that is FM and then going to work in rural mountain town America and be a fishing/hunting hermit.
Why not apply to a transitional year at the same time? I'm just thinking just in case ideas here.

I was considering going the dual apply route for a backup for a bit but have decided against it and will be doing pretty much the same thing as grey here^^^ except will be aiming for that ski bum lifestyle

Reactions: 4 users
Why not apply to a transitional year at the same time? I'm just thinking just in case ideas here.

Like Neo said, a TRI doesn’t help me. A prelim would allow me to potentially find a pgy2 spot, would allow me to be on rotations with surgeons to get new letters, etc.

I was considering going the dual apply route for a backup for a bit but have decided against it and will be doing pretty much the same thing as grey here^^^ except will be aiming for that ski bum lifestyle
Same. I just decided I want surgery so bad it would be a disservice to me to not go all in this first round. Not when I’ve worked so hard to build an app geared to it.

Reactions: 7 users
Depends on the specialty I think. All the surgical specialties seem to have their own tolerance to different plan Bs.

DR is probably good, especially if you've lost the desire to be a doctor outside of that surgical specialty. Go hard or go DR.

Reactions: 1 users
What makes DR so appealing as a surg back up? Serious question as I will clearly need a back up going for general surgery lol

What makes DR so appealing as a surg back up? Serious question as I will clearly need a back up going for general surgery lol

It's not competitive, lifestyle can be good, but work can be demanding. Salary is good. Can go interventional route as well.

Reactions: 1 user
less patient interaction than regular docs

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
If you love surgery, isn't gas a more fitting backup than DR?

Personally, I strongly dislike pharm and phys. I much prefer anatomy, pathology, and imaging. Plus being a diagnostician is pretty cool. You get to do fire and forget problem solving at a breakneck pace.

Is DR THAT much less competitive as of now?
DR has a bimodal distribution of competitiveness and self selection. It's competitive at the top but there are lots of mediocre programs (plus strong undercover community ones) to match.

Is DR THAT much less competitive as of now?
There are some less competitive programs for sure. But it’s really just that a middle of the pack surgical applicant is pretty competitive for rads (and most anything else).