Back up plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sanman

O.G.
Reaction score
Hey,
I know most of us here got into grad school or are already there, but I was curious as to whether any of you had a back up plan if you didn't get in. I personally didn't have a plan for the upcoming year if I didn't get in, so I'm happy I did.

Members don't see this ad.

I got into a clinical psych program on my third try (1st attempt wasn't informed/serious, 2nd I got waitlisted with no results). The first two times after I found out I didn't get in I was devestated, of course. Adding to my misery was the fact that I didn't have any sort of backup plan. So not only was I depressed about what I would do in the future for a career, I also didn't have anything lined up for the short-term until I could apply again. This year I finally got wise and applied to a few master's programs for backup, and also knew that I could stay in my current job position as a research assistant and get some more experience.
My advice to people applying to programs this year would be to make a backup plan--see what sorts of jobs/research opportunities are available in your area, apply to a few master's programs, look into the Peace Corp--whatever. It might take a few days of your time in the fall or early spring. But if you don't get into a program--and any one reading this board around application and acceptance time knows what a arbitrary process it can be--you'll still be devestated, but at least you'll know what you'll have an idea of what to do in the short term.

I had 3 backup plans (none of which I really wanted to do but I would have):

1) Applied to human development PhD programs (got accepted to all of them)
2) Woild have applied to masters programs (ones that had rolling admissions or late application deadlines)
3) Could have spent another miserable/broke year in California working as an RA where I currently am.

I'll second what amimi said.....have a backup plan, or have 2 of them. BUT...that said...don't have a plan that you'll hate (ie; applying to another PhD program that is only your secondary interest....you'll be miserable for 4 years instead of waiting out only 1 year to re-apply).

Members don't see this ad :)
I did have a backup plan--masters progs in experimental psych--but I'm really glad it didn't come to that. Given my age and interests, social work or school psych would have been a better plan.

nope, no backup plan! i had already done a masters, so that route wasn't available to me. i honestly don't know what i would have done if i hadn't been accepted anywhere!