Back-up Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Southern_Weather

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN,
I am sure that the majority of people have some career choice in which they will fall upon in case their primary choice in medicine falls through. I would like to share mine and hopefully get some questions answered. From what I have experienced thus far, I love medicine and the human body, so, as a fall back, I would pursue a phd in biomedical science. This entails, to the best of my knowledge, being a scientist with emphasis on medicine. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. These programs are not nearly as common as I initially assumed, but there is one at USA which is 20 miles from where I live. Long story short, this is something that I have originally thought to fill the void of a back- up plan but is becoming an increasingly attractive option. There is something about it that really seems to grab me. Now, I was hoping that someone could enlighten me as to how competetive programs such as these, as well as comparable ones, are. I know that you do have to be selected and meet certain requirements but is it, dare I say, along the lines of med school; such as many applicants, few spots? I don't really know how I expect someone to know this information but if you do, it is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Dear SDN,
I am sure that the majority of people have some career choice in which they will fall upon in case their primary choice in medicine falls through. I would like to share mine and hopefully get some questions answered. From what I have experienced thus far, I love medicine and the human body, so, as a fall back, I would pursue a phd in biomedical science. This entails, to the best of my knowledge, being a scientist with emphasis on medicine. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. These programs are not nearly as common as I initially assumed, but there is one at USA which is 20 miles from where I live. Long story short, this is something that I have originally thought to fill the void of a back- up plan but is becoming an increasingly attractive option. There is something about it that really seems to grab me. Now, I was hoping that someone could enlighten me as to how competetive programs such as these, as well as comparable ones, are. I know that you do have to be selected and meet certain requirements but is it, dare I say, along the lines of med school; such as many applicants, few spots? I don't really know how I expect someone to know this information but if you do, it is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks

The physician doorway is always open. You can always do DO/Caribbean. Never say the door is closed (unless you're a felon/or have multiple DUIs)

If I wasn't going to become a US MD, I'd probably become a DO. If I couldn't go DO, I'd go Pod. If not pod, maybe optometry.

I appreciate that. I am confident that I will make it into med school and my intent is DO. I truly do have my heart set on this and am doing everything in my power to strengthen my potential application. But I am a curious individual and I like to see what other possible venues there are in medicine. I believe that I would love to do research on different diseases and study the pathology and find cures. I am merely looking for some insight in regard to this career. Thanks:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it would be as competitive as an MD program. It's probably just another Ph.D., although in the best subject possible. =D

If you feel yourself drawn to it, there's a simple litmus test. When you dream about medicine, is it about clinical practice, or mainly about research? If it's the latter, it appears inspiration has found you at a most opportune time!

Really, I'll be deeply depressed if I don't maintain research throughout my career. Clinics help the patients of today, but research (especially that done by Ph.Ds, such as perhaps yourself in a few years) helps the patients of tomorrow. And the day after that. And so on - forever.

(as you can tell, I am captivated by research, but in the end, I found that I really yearned to work with patients directly =) )

I don't think it would be as competitive as an MD program. It's probably just another Ph.D., although in the best subject possible. =D

If you feel yourself drawn to it, there's a simple litmus test. When you dream about medicine, is it about clinical practice, or mainly about research? If it's the latter, it appears inspiration has found you at a most opportune time!

Really, I'll be deeply depressed if I don't maintain research throughout my career. Clinics help the patients of today, but research (especially that done by Ph.Ds, such as perhaps yourself in a few years) helps the patients of tomorrow. And the day after that. And so on - forever.

(as you can tell, I am captivated by research, but in the end, I found that I really yearned to work with patients directly =) )

That was quite inspiration and kind:) I appreciate your optimistic response. I also like the patient contact, the human element is essential but the research almost out-weighs it, for me. And you stated that perfectly, " research helps the patients of tomorrow". I feel that I could make so much more of a difference if I could find cures and vaccinations instead of helping a single, individual at a time. I am not familiar with how the whole phd process works of getting accepted and things along that line. Is it pretty much, 'meet the requirements and you're in'? or is there more to it? Thank you so much:)

My biology degree will put me on the fast track to an exciting career at McDonald's.

I have always wanted to be a cop, maybe its just a phase...