LoR plan for PI who also I plan to take a class with

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klever

Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I just have a quick question:

I plan to eventually get a LoR from my PI in a few years. However, I have the opportunity to take a science class with them next semester or the semester after that. If I were to get a LoR from them after that, would that make this letter fulfill a science professor recommendation letter? Or would it solely be able to be used as a LoR from a PI? Could it serve to do both? Would it be recommended to get 2 other science professors that can solely write in the viewpoint as a science professor instead for the 2 science LoRs?

I appreciate any and all help!

Members don't see this ad.

You can probably choose to use it as either depending on the schools’ requirements.

Reactions: 1 user
You can probably choose to use it as either depending on the schools’ requirements.
Thank you for your response. I'm just concerned that if I choose to use it as a science letter, the recommendation would be mostly in the perspective of a PI and that might not be ideal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just concerned that if I choose to use it as a science letter, the recommendation would be mostly in the perspective of a PI and that might not be ideal.
You can mention this to the writer.

Have you been providing your letter writers a copy of the amcas guidelines for letters?

You can mention this to the writer.

Have you been providing your letter writers a copy of the amcas guidelines for letters?
No I don't plan to get the LoR for a while (1-2 yrs+) but this is my plan of action and I'm just thinking ahead. Thank you for your suggestion!