Back-up plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

drummergirl

I am in my first year of undergrad, and have just learned of the staggering numbers of people who DO NOT get into medical school. I think this site said something like 1:10 to 1:100 get past the first step. It's a bit daunting, really.
Do any of you pre-med's have other career options if you don't make it? I'm just curious.
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Keep in mind that those numbers look so bad because there are a LOT of people who still apply even though they have a low GPA and MCAT. I'm not sure if the stats are available, but I'm sure that if you looked at the ratio of the people with national average scores who applied to those accepted, the odds would look much better.

Well, I'm majoring in medical technology, so if I don't make into medical school, I plan to work as a med tech. Then, after a couple of years of working in the field, I would try applying again. I also thought about going to graduate school to get a Ph.D. in biochemical criminology or forensic science.

[This message has been edited by Pathologist (edited 03-02-2001).]

The night I got my acceptance, I was working on a resume for a Pharm Drug Sales rep. I thought that if i didnt get into medical school that I would at least get some experience in drug names while I reapplied!

It is a big sacrifice to spend so much time preparing and working your butt off to get into school and then get rejected. For me, there was no way in H*ll that I was not going to reapply. I think I would have applied for at least 3 years until I would have decided to move on. And besides, your chances increase if you reapply anyway. In the interviews I had, they all asked what I would do if I didnt get in. You better say you would reapply, b/c if not I dont think it looks as if your very motivated or that you really want to be a physician.

------------------
~Pegasus~