Back up plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlelisa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have back up plans if they don't get accepted this year?

I hope it's not bad luck to consider possible back up plans if I get rejected. My thoughts are that I will apply to vet school until I get in no matter what, but if I end up have an entire year that I don't have to devote to school, I see it as one year that I could find life-changing experiences for myself. I obviously wouldn't miss this if I do get into vet school, but if I don't, I want to do something extraordinary, something that will really stand out on my application. So my question is, does anyone have any unique plans before going to vet school? Any great volunteer opportunities or experiences where you really get to make a difference?

Members don't see this ad.

It's certainly not bad luck to have a back-up plan... it's good sense! Nothing exciting here, I'm just planning on getting a full time veterinary job to increase my hours dramatically as I think that is the weakest point on my application. I do have a month-long internship lined up this May, which I'll be doing whether or not I get accepted. I was looking into World Vets (anyone have any opinions on this organization?) but my bank account is dwindling and working takes priority.

No certainly not a bad idea. In fact, you'll likely get asked in your interviews this exact question. It was the second thing they asked in mine.

'While we wish we could admit everyone that applies, should you not get accepted this cycle, what is your back up plan?'

At the time it was to just continue school since I applied as a Junior. This time, I'm probably going to start a Masters. Or maybe take a year 'off' for work. Not sure yet.

Oh and of course mention that you do intend to apply again should you not be accepted. Even if you don't, it shows resolve.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually decided at the end of my junior year (this past spring) that I would take a year to work, complete an internship, and get some more experience before applying. I'm now in the process of applying to Teach for America, which is a two-year commitment (I have my final interview in December). It's something I thought about doing for a long time and talked myself out of because of the vet-school-tunnel-vision I developed. I finally decided to go for it! Vet school will be there when I'm finished!

If I'm accepted to TFA, I plan on applying to schools this coming year that will allow me to defer until the next year (after my teaching). If that cycle doesn't work out, I'll apply the next year and the year after that if necessary. If I'm not accepted into the program, I'll be working -- if the economy cooperates! -- to fill my time. And yes...that means I will be living back at home with my adoring parents. :rolleyes:

What I will do if I don't get depends completely on where my fiance gets in to grad school. I figure we will move there and depending on the situation I will either get an animal related job or start a masters/ try to establish residency in whatever state I move to.

Here's the question, what does everyone think about mentioning SOs during interviews? I have certainly heard mixed opinions on it.

This is my third application cycle and if I don't get in again, I've got a couple of options I'm considering. My first time, I intended to get more varied experience in the year between applications. I didn't end up doing so, and I didn't get in the second time I applied, either. Big surprise, right? :rolleyes:

The second time I didn't get in, I meant to go into a masters program. Instead, I was offered a great job working with laboratory animals at various different research sites with lots of different vets. I thought the job sounded fun and it was a definite change up from shelter med, where most of my other experience had come from. I took it instead of grad school, thinking the job would help my application.

This year, if I still don't get in, I'll either keep working for my current company, or I'll apply for masters programs. I haven't decided yet. I'm going to be digging out all the info I had from last year pretty soon here and working on my apps.

I havent applied yet, but in case i don't get in when i do apply, I think I'll continue grooming. If i apply this fall, I'll still have another year of school to complete. So I'll be doing that. If I apply the fall after that and don't get in, I'll keep grooming and try to get some more veterinary experience. I'll also probably sign up for an Animal Nutrition course, so i can apply to a wider range of schools in the next cycle. At least that's the vague idea.

I'm planning on doing more cow stuff, if I don't get in this year. I miss them. :(