Back up speciality during match process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HumptyDumptyMil

Almost done...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently decided that I would love to be an ophthalmologist when I grow up. After doing some research on the competitiveness of obtaining a residency position, I was wondering if anyone has had a back up plan for when they did not get a spot.
Since the Ophtho programs goes through the SF match, is it possible for the same student to also pursue another specialty through ERAS at THE SAME TIME? I figured that it is technically possible since the ophtho match is in January, so you can pull yourself out of the regular match date in March if you are lucky enough to land a spot in a ophtho program. Of course, I guess you will have to also worry about the programs talking to each other about your possible lack of commitment..

Members don't see this ad.

I agree. Showing that you lack committment may be a fatal error. Technically though, you don't submit a rank list for the regular match until after the ophtho match is over, so you are by no means committing any violation by applying to multiple specialties. It's your choice. I would advocate though that ophtho is worth fighing for.

The best backup plan that I know of for someone who does not match is to spend a year doing eye research, or do a fellowship in oculopathology or possibly neuroophthalmology.

The best backup plan that I know of for someone who does not match is to spend a year doing eye research, or do a fellowship in oculopathology or possibly neuroophthalmology.

How common is it for people to be admitted to residency after a year of research?

How common is it that some people simply never match no matter what they do? What do these people end up going into?