Backed into a corner by residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A “small social media” HIPAA violation lol. That’s like the worst kind of HIPAA violation OP.

There’s leaving your computer logged on or your signout sheet at the nurses station by accident and then there’s posting identifiable patient information on Facebook. One is worse than the other OP.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Wow that website sure is something special. I like the autoplaying gospel music on the 'Black Residents' page.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Why does EVERY single one of these posts start and end the same? First there's an OP who is understandably stressed and anxious albeit minimalizes important details. They initially receive pretty neutral and helpful feedback from the group, with 1-2 humorous vs. overly critical responses among 20. Then some outlier comes along and flings mud at everyone else from atop their soapbox. Eventually it becomes locked.

Reactions: 7 users
Why does EVERY single one of these posts start and end the same? First there's an OP who is understandably stressed and anxious albeit minimalizes important details. They initially receive pretty neutral and helpful feedback from the group, with 1-2 humorous vs. overly critical responses among 20. Then some outlier comes along and flings mud at everyone else from atop their soapbox. Eventually it becomes locked.
But come on, this one gave you the residency rehab website which is pure gold. I can imagine myself back in residency after a particularly bad night of call at morning report.
Attending: You look terrible rough night?
Yeasports: Too many admissions I've hit rock bottom.
Attending: You mean?
Yeasports: Yes, I'm done. I'm checking in to residency rehab. Giving up call cold turkey. No more admissions, no more phone notes, no more critical labs.
Announcer: Remember that name: Residency Rehab (in a low voice) not a member of ACGME.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users

Because the creation of the Internet made all opinions equal in the eyes of fools.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
But come on, this one gave you the residency rehab website which is pure gold. I can imagine myself back in residency after a particularly bad night of call at morning report.
Attending: You look terrible rough night?
Yeasports: Too many admissions I've hit rock bottom.
Attending: You mean?
Yeasports: Yes, I'm done. I'm checking in to residency rehab. Giving up call cold turkey. No more admissions, no more phone notes, no more critical labs.
Announcer: Remember that name: Residency Rehab (in a low voice) not a member of ACGME.
NOW we can lock the thread!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
The rehab doctor has been practicing medicine all this time, and is completing occupational residency. However His advice doesn't really appear helpful for nonmilitary doctors
The rehab doctor's advice doesn't really appear helpful for anyone. After failing to re-enter an ortho residency multiple times, he decided to apply to FM, applied broadly... and then, despite getting multiple interview offers, only went on ONE interview and subsequently didn't match. Reading the "my story" section of that website is literally a guidebook on how to have an unsuccessful medical career.

Reactions: 9 users
So 4-5 million dollars and 6 years down the drain. With that money that resident could have bought up a bunch of clinics and hired doctors, set up a bunch of cosmetic shops, started a VC fund, used whatever MD and limited residency to get a consulting or pharma gig somewhere, invested the money to make millions or just outright retire. dumb on so many levels!
I got to the point of "My PD made me take an IQ test which said I belong in MENSA and am among the smartest physicians" and I stopped reading.

• Haha
Hi all,

Looking for some advice here. I’m a categorical pgy2 in a new general surgery program. I’ve had attendings comment on my financial background and personal background and hold a prejudice against me since I was an intern. I have been told by faculty that “I should ask my parents to buy me a different car”. I was pulled off my vascular surgery rotation during my second year due to prejudice from the attendings. My program put me on remediation this year due to a small HIPAA violation on social media. I worked extremely hard, and got many positive comments and evaluations from attendings. My PD recently told me the other faculty want to punish me for the HIPPA violation even more than the initial punishment I was given and the program is forcing me to repeat my PGY2 year on remediation.

I have objective data from my evals showing I’m at level or ahead of my peers. My division director told me what was happening with me was wrong and I needed to take my case up to national. He was helping me with everything until he unexpectedly resigned and is nowhere to be found. My PD and DIO refuse to listen to me and told me their decision is final. Our GME resident manual states you can only put a resident on remediation for 90 days. The DIO basically told me the CCC will meet every 90 days to renew my remediation and make me repeat the entire year.

They did say, however, if I leave the program and transfer to another program, they will state I completed PGY2 so I can transfer into a PGY3 position. I don’t feel like the attendings will ever give me a fair shot in this program and feel very uncomfortable working with those attendings and residents. I have a month left to figure out my next move. Should I try to get legal representation? Should I contact ACGME? My program is a new program and we have an ACGME site visit coming up in a few months. If I stay in this program, my chances of transferring to another residency program will diminish significantly. But if I leave a categorical residency, what are my odds of finding an open pgy3 position?

I’ve been struggling with this and need some perspective. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
Just because I haven't seen it yet one small piece of advice: Suspend or delete all of your social media for the duration of residency. The worst thing you can do is to make the same mistake twice. The best way to not have a second social media related problem is not to have social media.

Just because I haven't seen it yet one small piece of advice: Suspend or delete all of your social media for the duration of residency. The worst thing you can do is to make the same mistake twice. The best way to not have a second social media related problem is not to have social media.

please see post #2.:joyful:

Reactions: 1 users
That's something I still can't wrap my mind around: whether social media or pot, why people just feel compelled to do it, and can't stop.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
You have posted on this website more than six thousand times.
But, if I did something that would end my livelihood, I would have no problem stopping. SDN hasn't provided that for me. I guess you missed the point. Like in post #2, this guy should have deleted his accounts ASAP. I'm guessing he posted an identifiable picture of something on someone, like a tattoo.

Reactions: 1 user
You have posted on this website more than six thousand times.
I have posted on this website a fair bit too - though not quite as long as @Apollyon ( who has a few years on me). I also post frequently on Reddit and Facebook.

And yet, I have never gotten in trouble for posting identifiable PHI on any of the above. If I did - and there was any risk of me losing my career from participating in them - I'd quit.

Reactions: 6 users
I can't be the only one curious to know the full details of the social media mistake, right?

I can't be the only one curious to know the full details of the social media mistake, right?
Op already said way too much. People act like no one else in their program has access to sdn

Reactions: 1 users
There will always be morbid curiosity but no way the OP should give more details. In this case, knowing more details won’t change the advice given.

No argument here. Damage has probably already been done.

So 4-5 million dollars and 6 years down the drain. With that money that resident could have bought up a bunch of clinics and hired doctors, set up a bunch of cosmetic shops, started a VC fund, used whatever MD and limited residency to get a consulting or pharma gig somewhere, invested the money to make millions or just outright retire. dumb on so many levels!

I think I know who this guy is, have heard his story locally. He sued a bunch of people in the department, along with the university. Then kept appealing. Agree with you.

• Wow