Background Check Certiphi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiverJoe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been accepted to an MD school in Missouri as long as my background check, drug screening, etc. gets turned in on time. However, I am concerned that the Certiphi background check will put me in a bad position with the school and they will revoke my acceptance. I was pretty vague on my secondary as far as criminal background goes. In reality, I have received a collection of misdemeanor tickets on my record (5 in high school and 2 in college). They were all while I was 20 years old or younger. I am 25 now and haven’t gotten in trouble since. Specifically, Ive gotten 4 minor in possession of alcohol, 2 possession of marijuana, and 1 possession of paraphernalia. These 7 tickets were given over 4 occasions (3 in high school, one in college). I’ve had all of the tickets expunged but I’m wondering what the school might say? Has anyone else dealt with this type of thing before? I keep finding stuff on people with DUI’s but nothing about multiple small offenses like this. Anyone have any advice? Should I just keep calm?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have been accepted to an MD school in Missouri as long as my background check, drug screening, etc. gets turned in on time. However, I am concerned that the Certiphi background check will put me in a bad position with the school and they will revoke my acceptance. I was pretty vague on my secondary as far as criminal background goes. In reality, I have received a collection of misdemeanor tickets on my record (5 in high school and 2 in college). They were all while I was 20 years old or younger. I am 25 now and haven’t gotten in trouble since. Specifically, Ive gotten 4 minor in possession of alcohol, 2 possession of marijuana, and 1 possession of paraphernalia. These 7 tickets were given over 4 occasions (3 in high school, one in college). I’ve had all of the tickets expunged but I’m wondering what the school might say? Has anyone else dealt with this type of thing before? I keep finding stuff on people with DUI’s but nothing about multiple small offenses like this. Anyone have any advice? Should I just keep calm?
If it was all expunged, you don't have to disclose.

Have you done a background check on yourself?
were any tickets given younger than 18?
Did you ask anyone for assistance when writing this up originally?
were any actual misdemeanors?
Did you have any additional questions on your secondary about this? if so, how did you answer?
Your background check should have been done already.

Frankly if two items pop up on a background, it should be "investigated" by dean, which means he/she wants a letter of explanation
With 7 and any discrepancies on your AMCAS/Secondary, you may have some explaining to do

Haven't done a background check on myself.
Didn't ask for assistance.
They were all misdemeanors as far as i know
The question was on a few secondaries.
I just put "misdemeanors for possesssion/paraphrenalia, and minor in possession of alcohol"
Where would this background check "already have been done?" and why would they need another from certiphi?

Members don't see this ad :)
That is incorrect. Virtually all states have exceptions in statute for expunging court records for certain situations, such as background checks for law enforcement employment or healthcare providers. By extension this would mean medical students as they will touch patients in clinical rotation. Additionally, while court records may be expunged, arrest records, DMV, etc will still exist
Iirc that only applies come licensing time and residency application. The language in the amcas application explicitly states "excluding any convictions that have been expunged or sealed by a court"amcas instruction manual 2017 page 33, unless the records are not sealed or OP answered a secondary question inappropriately this should not come up.

Reactions: 1 users
Once you submit your primary application, you can run your own background check through certiphi. Since it sounds like you did at least mention the incidents and they accepted you, then hopefully it will be fine.

How do you do this?

That is incorrect. Virtually all states have exceptions in statute for expunging court records for certain situations, such as background checks for law enforcement employment or healthcare providers. By extension this would mean medical students as they will touch patients in clinical rotation. Additionally, while court records may be expunged, arrest records, DMV, etc will still exist

Would an arrest for outstanding warrant need to be divulged in secondaries? It was for an outstanding speeding ticket nearly 13 years ago at this point. I paid the fine and that was it.

When I did it, it cost like $30. The $150 is the maximum, I think in every thread I've seen on here it has never approached that. just FYI.

That's the price it told me to pay when I filled everything out