Background check help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys hopefully you will be able to help me out on this issue. When I was 18 (still in high school) I was charged for underage drinking (no DUI's or anything) and on my background check it shows up but its dismissed with prejudice because I went through various classes for the ticket. Im now 21 and applying this coming June, will I be penalized harshly for this? Do they still look up background checks, do i need to get them from somewhere and send the report in with my application, etc? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You were eighteen, you made a mistake. I assume you haven't been in trouble since? You report it, take responsibility, and tell them what you learned. Yes, there are definitely background checks. You will be fine. I've got an alcohol ordinance violation fresh from last fall due to the idiots I work with/ for. I reported it and I have two interviews next week.

As far as I know the only background checks conducted are through Certipihi and may only be processed after you submit your primary aadsas application. At that point, you may pay a fee to run a background check on yourself to see what emerges. If/when you are offered a conditional acceptance to a school that requires a background check to be conducted, you will have to initiate a background check through Certiphi and the schools who want it will be able to access it. The cost of running the test will depend on your state and residence background (ie, if you've lived in 5 states in the past 5 years, this may be more expensive than someone who's lived in texas their whole life).

When it doubt, over report, especially if you KNOW it will be on your background check. Own up to your mistakes and go from there. Can't change the past, just demonstrate maturity in other parts of your application and you should be good. Hope this clarifies the process a bit. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome thats good news, thanks so much for the help!

I really doubt that they are going to care about an underage drinking charge.

Even if it is on your background report, most schools only ask , have you ever been convicted. If a charge was dismissed or dropped. than you can truthfully answer NO, you have never been convicted.