Background Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbran27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an applicant for the 2007 cycle and feel that my DAT's are competetive and grades OK, except for one problem, I have a misdemeanor on my record. It is a DUI from 4 years ago that I can't get off my record and I have to apply with it on there. How badly will this hurt my chances of admission? I learned a lot from this mistake and am planning to write a lengthy explanation about it, is that all I can do and hope that an admissions committee understands? Or am I fooling myself that any school will accept me? Any information would be greatly appreciated. :)

sGPA - 3.0
AA-20, PAT-19Background Check

Members don't see this ad.

A DUI isn't going to keep you from d-school. We had someone in our class who committed manslaughter. So I think you are pretty safe. They aren't going to do background checks on you until you apply for your license and thats only in certain states. I wouldn't even bring it up unless they do.

Actually, dental schools do conduct a background check when you apply. That's what the majority of the application fee goes toward. However, a misdemeanor should not pose too much of a problem. If they do ask about it, be honest and see if you can convey that it has been a learning experience. It's not advisable to try and hide stuff, because if they do find out, it'll just result in a bigger problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
If surgeons and airline pilots can drink and go to work, why can't dentists? It just doesn't seem fair.

I wouldn't worry about your one DWI/DUI and I personally would not "write a lengthy explanation" on your application either. Point here is don't draw huge amount of attention to this, it's already ugly. List it, just move on, and get ready to converse about it during interviews if it comes up. Personal statement/Essay is to highlight your qualities, not your blemishes.

I too was convicted of a DWI during undergraduate days and had to list it on all of my applications:

Dental school applications
Oral Surgery residency applications
State board licensure activation application(s)

The list goes on and on if you plan to apply to any "professional" licenses in the future. As matter of fact, none of my dental school interviews had asked me about my DWI. People who asked about my DWI were:

1) Medical school interviews for Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery programs
2) Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery programs interviews

Bottom line, getting caught and convicted of a DWI calls for behavioral modification, be a responsible partier, and essentially is a "wake-up" call. Everyone make mistakes, in our case, it was a huge mistake. We learn from it, "try" not to repeat the offense, and to become a better person.

what about................murder?

I just wouldn't expect too much love from Loma Linda University!