Background CHeck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nixon13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was accepted to UofMich and during my interview I had a chance to talk about the few drinking charges I had in the past. They still accepted me even though they knew about my charges...Do u think that my acceptance could be revoked during a future background check? Does UofM even do BG checks?

Members don't see this ad.

So I was accepted to UofMich and during my interview I had a chance to talk about the few drinking charges I had in the past. They still accepted me even though they knew about my charges...Do u think that my acceptance could be revoked during a future background check? Does UofM even do BG checks?

I think most is not all schools do background checks, but if you told them about your charges you should be fine!

Why would a school waste their money to do a background check on anyone... If you are responsible enough to get into DS and then you give them your money, as long as you dont mess up as a current student there should be nothing to worry about. Plus if the charges are through school and not criminal they will never see them.. Your disciplinary record at school is confidential and can only be released with your consent.. At least its that way at my undergrad

Members don't see this ad :)
even if it is a criminal charge, it if was already presented to the school in writing, like on a secondary, before they made the decision to accept you, then they already knew about it and i dont see how they could then retract an offer

Yea i presented it on my secondary and also during my interview we talked about it...the interviewer said it wouldnt affect my chances of an acceptance. I just got worried because i saw some posts on BG checks, and i dont want something so great to be taken away from me

Why would a school waste their money to do a background check on anyone... If you are responsible enough to get into DS and then you give them your money, as long as you dont mess up as a current student there should be nothing to worry about. Plus if the charges are through school and not criminal they will never see them.. Your disciplinary record at school is confidential and can only be released with your consent.. At least its that way at my undergrad

because a $75 background check is cheaper than a 2 million dollar lawsuit. schools get into major trouble accepting known rapists, arsonists, ...etc. not doing a background check is considered negligent.

no arson or rapist here...just got drunk a few times before 21.

they really should do background checks...dentists have a lot of responsibility and it's very important that they are capable of that responsibility. Background checks can reveal a lot about a person. Neglecting to do one is really stupid.

no arson or rapist here...just got drunk a few times before 21.

yikes, but me too. that was 10 years ago though...it came up at two interviews and the interviewers were actually laughing about it. I guess they understand that bad decisions are made while foggy on booze, but individuals who perservere and learn from those incidents should not pay a lifetime for a such a petty incident, in the grande scheme of things.

best of luck

if you're that worried, do a BG check on yourself. there are a hundred websites out there that will do them for under $30. and i'm not talking about just speeding ticket kind of background check, like you can check EVERYTHING about your past. the only reason i know this is because i worked for the city for a number of years and they told me about it, AND now i work at a university and they had to do one there too.

GL with everything, i'm sure you're just fine

Thank god i'm felony free.

Last edited:
Hypothetically, if someone attending dental school had 2 borough ordinances
1. public urination
2. drinking in public

would this arise any complications? was not arrested, etc. a ticket was given in both circumstances and a simple fine was paid on court day. just clarifying this now.

Schools do background checks to screen for what they call "elevated" crimes. This includes murder, rape, arson, aggravated assault...etc. Drinking crimes don't count unless you take a pipe against someone head while drunk. In summary, they're looking for felonies.

Unless you have a DUI, DWI, or a felony you are perfectly fine-especially since you told them about the charges.

because a $75 background check is cheaper than a 2 million dollar lawsuit. schools get into major trouble accepting known rapists, arsonists, ...etc. not doing a background check is considered negligent.

Actually Our application process "AADSAS" has a section which includes informing them of all felonies you have been accused of/been found guilty of, therefore if you lie on that and do not site your rape conviction (of which you will most likely be in jail from and not applying to dental school in order to commit arson) then you will be lying and in no way will the school be vulnerable to a law suit.. Background checks will also be done on their accepted students but there is no fear of being kicked out/acceptance being re-nigged for misdemeanors. So, if you have been convicted of rape or arson, and you are now out of jail, have found a way to complete your degree, get all prereqs, study and do well on the DAT and then pay to apply and then interview (while covering your prison tats) AND get accepted... then Kudos..

Actually Our application process "AADSAS" has a section which includes informing them of all felonies you have been accused of/been found guilty of, therefore if you lie on that and do not site your rape conviction (of which you will most likely be in jail from and not applying to dental school in order to commit arson) then you will be lying and in no way will the school be vulnerable to a law suit.. Background checks will also be done on their accepted students but there is no fear of being kicked out/acceptance being re-nigged for misdemeanors. So, if you have been convicted of rape or arson, and you are now out of jail, have found a way to complete your degree, get all prereqs, study and do well on the DAT and then pay to apply and then interview (while covering your prison tats) AND get accepted... then Kudos..

Sure, if you think the courts will relieve a university from liability just because the student lied on their application. But afterall, I'm sure bank robbers, rapists, con-artists, and murderers are honest enough to tell the truth on applications. It's still the university's responsibility to ensure the safety of their employees, students, and customers/patients.

If you ever have spare time, read some universitys' policies on criminal backgrounds. Some say things like...it's X University's policy to not matriculate students who have such and such criminal records. Meaning, if you've been convicted or rape or whatever in the past, you will not be accepted at any cost.

Last edited:
Background checks are just to make sure you have told the truth and there aren't skeletons in your closet, before they officially become associated with you.