Background in engineering-interest in dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GTEX

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends.
I'd be grateful if you help me.
I am 29 years old and have a bachelor and master's degree in Industrial Engineering and am currently a first-year PhD student of business.
I have always had a very strong interest in becoming a dentist, but for some reasons (improper guidence from family) I Went to study engineering. But even after around 7 years of study in enginerring school and business school this passion has not left me.
Now I am considering making the big decision of leaving business school and trying to get into a D-school. I have virtually no information about what I'd face. So Could you please offer me some basic information:
1) is it at all possible for someone with such a profile to get into a D-school?
2) what could be the possible problems?
Any kind of help is very much appreciated.
Let me add that during my bachelor studies, I took one physics course and one chemistry course.
Most of you might say it would be easier and also better for me to continue my business program, but I really have the passion and self-motivation to overcome any difficulties.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar place back in 2006. Very similar to you, I had a degree in computer sciences, and was working in I.T. I hated and wanted to move towards healthcare.

Anyways, its more than possible for you to get in. But there is a good chance you will need to spend the next 2-3 years gearing up because engineering degrees don't have alot of pre-med style courses incorporated into them (like biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, physiology, etc etc). You will need to go back to an undergrad college (either as a non-degree seeker or as 2nd bachelors degree). Your goal ofc is not to gain a 2nd bachelors, but just to take the pre-dental courses.

The biggest challenge you'll face is, well, time, you need time to take the required courses.

I started DS when I had just turned 30 (back in 2011)... I am turning 33 next month and graduating dental school in 10 months.

All the best, message me if you have further questions / concerns.

Reactions: 1 user
I forgot to mention, what is your current GPA? and science GPA? If its in the super lows (below 2.5), it will most likely take more than 3+ years to come close to being competative.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's definitely possible! You have a decent amount of work before you get there though. However, all of your graduate studies will be really impressive. You'll have to go back to school to complete your pre-requisites (Biology, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, English... Some dental schools have Biochemistry and Human Anatomy also). Additionally, you'll have to take the DAT and get some experience with shadowing. I think you can do it!! Good luck!

Thank you very much for your helpful answer. So you mean the chem and physics courses that I took as undergrad student wouldn't be considered?
I don't have a killer science GPA. But it is not that bad too. What do you mean by "current GPA"? you mean in my PhD program? Would it have any effect?
I was in a similar place back in 2006. Very similar to you, I had a degree in computer sciences, and was working in I.T. I hated and wanted to move towards healthcare.

Anyways, its more than possible for you to get in. But there is a good chance you will need to spend the next 2-3 years gearing up because engineering degrees don't have alot of pre-med style courses incorporated into them (like biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, physiology, etc etc). You will need to go back to an undergrad college (either as a non-degree seeker or as 2nd bachelors degree). Your goal ofc is not to gain a 2nd bachelors, but just to take the pre-dental courses.

The biggest challenge you'll face is, well, time, you need time to take the required courses.

I started DS when I had just turned 30 (back in 2011)... I am turning 33 next month and graduating dental school in 10 months.

All the best, message me if you have further questions / concerns.

Thank you very much for your helpful answer. So you mean the chem and physics courses that I took as undergrad student wouldn't be considered?
I don't have a killer science GPA. But it is not that bad too. What do you mean by "current GPA"? you mean in my PhD program? Would it have any effect?

well, i think the chemistry and physics would be used. usually its chem 1/2 and physics 1/2 which you probably already have. but in addition to that you need organic chemistry 1/2 and all of the bio courses

Current GPA means every grade you've received after high school, here are your caterogies:
- undergrad GPA alone
- masters GPA alone
- phD GPA alone
- combination of all 3 above..... the undergrad one will be the most important.

With regards to the chemistry and physics you've taken, you will need to contact a pre-med/pre-dent advisor from the school you'll be attending and asking them for a list of the pre-dental courses. You will need to compare that list to the old chem and physics (if they are the same) then just continue forward.

Thanks for your kind answer. So you mean my graduate studies would be a plus? If so, why? I mean they are not related to dentistry...
It's definitely possible! You have a decent amount of work before you get there though. However, all of your graduate studies will be really impressive. You'll have to go back to school to complete your pre-requisites (Biology, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics, English... Some dental schools have Biochemistry and Human Anatomy also). Additionally, you'll have to take the DAT and get some experience with shadowing. I think you can do it!! Good luck!

Current GPA means every grade you've received after high school, here are your caterogies:
- undergrad GPA alone
- masters GPA alone
- phD GPA alone
- combination of all 3 above..... the undergrad one will be the most important.

With regards to the chemistry and physics you've taken, you will need to contact a pre-med/pre-dent advisor from the school you'll be attending and asking them for a list of the pre-dental courses. You will need to compare that list to the old chem and physics (if they are the same) then just continue forward.
Well my undergrad is 3.5 and masters 3.7. In my doctoral program I have so far taken 3 courses and ended up getting two B and one A (two of the courses were psychology courses).

Well my undergrad is 3.5 and masters 3.7. In my doctoral program I have so far taken 3 courses and ended up getting two B and one A (two of the courses were psychology courses).
yeah, you have great GPA to start with. All you need to do now is apply to a local university, contact a pre-med advisor and get a list of their pre-med/pre-dent classes and take them.

I would also encourage you to take on 2-3 upper level biology courses (most dental schools recommend these - but not "require"): Biochemistry, physiology, microbiology, Gross anatomy (I advise one w/ cadaver lab), and histology.

My guess is that your GPA overall is about a 3.57 or slightly below a 3.6. What is your overall science GPA?

yeah, you have great GPA to start with. All you need to do now is apply to a local university, contact a pre-med advisor and get a list of their pre-med/pre-dent classes and take them.

I would also encourage you to take on 2-3 upper level biology courses (most dental schools recommend these - but not "require"): Biochemistry, physiology, microbiology, Gross anatomy (I advise one w/ cadaver lab), and histology.
One question (I am very sorry if my questions sound stupid, but as I told before I know almost nothing about the process. So my apologies): from what you have told me so far, I understand that I should take some pre-med courses. Now tje question is how I can do that. Again as per what you said, there are two options. The first one is taking them as 2nd bachelor degree, and the second one is getting as a a non-degree seeker. I really don't want to get into another four-year long bachelor program. So what should I do? How does that non-degree thing work?
Thanks again

One question (I am very sorry if my questions sound stupid, but as I told before I know almost nothing about the process. So my apologies): from what you have told me so far, I understand that I should take some pre-med courses. Now tje question is how I can do that. Again as per what you said, there are two options. The first one is taking them as 2nd bachelor degree, and the second one is getting as a a non-degree seeker. I really don't want to get into another four-year long bachelor program. So what should I do? How does that non-degree thing work?
Thanks again
2 year postbacc...a ton of schools offer them...maybe there's some that are less than 2 years, idk. there's also special master's programs...you can also be a nondegree seeking student

basically you just look up requirements from schools and take the prerequisite classes. buy the adea handbook on dental school if you want all the information on all the schools

http://www.adea.org/publications/Pages/OfficialGuide.aspx

Thanks again

You don't have much of a choice. Either you go to a 4-year university or a community college (I usually discourage people from community college)

Hello friends.
I'd be grateful if you help me.
I am 29 years old and have a bachelor and master's degree in Industrial Engineering and am currently a first-year PhD student of business.
I have always had a very strong interest in becoming a dentist, but for some reasons (improper guidence from family) I Went to study engineering. But even after around 7 years of study in enginerring school and business school this passion has not left me.
Now I am considering making the big decision of leaving business school and trying to get into a D-school. I have virtually no information about what I'd face. So Could you please offer me some basic information:
1) is it at all possible for someone with such a profile to get into a D-school?
2) what could be the possible problems?
Any kind of help is very much appreciated.
Let me add that during my bachelor studies, I took one physics course and one chemistry course.
Most of you might say it would be easier and also better for me to continue my business program, but I really have the passion and self-motivation to overcome any difficulties.

Thanks,

Engineering and dentistry go together nicely, if you have engineering experience, this would give you an edge clinically, and possibly maybe you can engineer your own instrument.

Thanks for your kind answer. So you mean my graduate studies would be a plus? If so, why? I mean they are not related to dentistry...

Well you prove to the admissions committee that you can survive in graduate school! Additionally, you're surviving while getting your PHD. They don't really care what you're studying. You could be getting your PHD in religion or even art. They just want to see how well you do while you're attending any school. I saw you asked about how to complete pre-req courses. Look at your transcript from your undergrad, grad, PHD schools. You will need the following: 2 semesters of biology, 2 semesters of general chemistry, 2 semesters of organic chemistry, 2 semesters of physics, 2 semesters of math, 2 semesters of English. My recommendation to you is to take the courses at the school you're getting your PHD at. You probably will only need to take a few seeing that you're engineering.