Backpacking/Travelling - AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nevadanteater

biochemical engine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I posted this over in Non-Trad, but it hasn't gotten much action over the last week, so I'd like to see what y'all think.

-------------------------------------------------------

The major reason I'm non-trad is that after finishing college and working for a year I moved to Scotland where I lived and worked for about two and a half years. I've returned and have spent the last 2 years doing pre-reqs and all the other stuff to get me geared up for medschool.

During my time overseas I did A LOT of odd jobs and bummed around Europe a bit.

There is one job that I will specifically mention on my AMCAS as one of the 15 'extracurriculars', but I feel like I'd like to list a second spot as a more generic "lived and worked in scotland" and list the various things I did and places i visited. Doubly so because the job I want to list only covers about a year of the time i was away.

Does this make sense? The fields available don't really match what I'm suggesting, but I feel like I need to explain further what I'm not explaining in my personal statement (which primarily concerns the aforementioned job).

Any suggestions?

N/A

Members don't see this ad.

hey, i am a similar non-trad (travelling, lived in paraguay for one year etc...). Fortunately, i am canadian and the canadian applications are very clear about where to put travelling and stuff like that.

Good luck

When I applied I had a lot of travel experience and included all of my travels in a "world travel" EC.

If you have an extra space (ie only 14 ECs) I would include it. But, if you have to sacrafice another EC to give scotland its own place I would say try to fit it into the "work in scottland" one first. If that doesnt work then you can include it as its own separate EC only if that will be better than the one you are getting rid of.