Backup plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bond80009

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO applicant with high Step 1 planning on applying radiology -
1. Is applying for TRI and IM intern year a good enough backup, or is it advisable to apply to categorical IM as a backup.
2. Can DO students do ACGME TRI/IM intern year, or does it have to be AOA.

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply to AOA radiology programs if before 2020.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the likelihood of someone matching reputable fellowships coming out an AOA program?

All fellowships are reputable, they can match A fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're applying DR and you apply intelligently (as in, you don't exclusively apply to mid-high tier programs), you probably won't need to apply to categorical IM as backup. This is assuming you have ~250+ steps with no red flags.

You can apply to AOA radiology programs if before 2020.
There's not a lot of AOA radiology spots, in 2017 there were 18, next year will probably be less. Is it still a good idea?
I am applying this year, what are examples of "red flags"?

There's not a lot of AOA radiology spots, in 2017 there were 18, next year will probably be less. Is it still a good idea?
I am applying this year, what are examples of "red flags"?

I mean, if you are ok with being an Im doc and don want anything to do with AOA, then don't apply AOA rads. Otherwise why not?

If someone does not match in ACGME match, are there spots still left in AOA programs in March in AOA TRI, AOA IM categorical or other AOA programs