Planning on going ESIR--which electives for M4?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dares Dareson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know my step is too low for integrated IR. So if I try to get into DR+ESIR, what is the best arrangement of electives? Like, 1 DR + 2 IR, 2 DR + 1 IR, etc.?

And hypothetically couldn't the IR electives come after interviewing season? So I would just do 3 DRs in August, September, October and then IR electives thereafter? Or do IR electives have any bearing on getting into ESIR?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You only need 1 DR and/or 1 IR rotation at most. 3 or even 2 DR rotations would raise eyebrows at many places, because we all know that you really don't do much in DR rotations as medical students.

And if you're doing DR+ESIR, then IR rotations don't matter at all as a medical student...because you apply into ESIR after you've already started DR residency.

Reactions: 1 users
You only need 1 DR and/or 1 IR rotation at most. 3 or even 2 DR rotations would raise eyebrows at many places, because we all know that you really don't do much in DR rotations as medical students.

And if you're doing DR+ESIR, then IR rotations don't matter at all as a medical student...because you apply into ESIR after you've already started DR residency.

Many thanks. One more quick one- Is ESIR even competitive? If so, how do you increase your chances of getting in?

Members don't see this ad :)
How competitive ESIR is depends on the individual program, as in how many ESIR spots they have, and how many co-residents in your class are interested in it. That question is one to ask during your interview day. The real question you should really be asking, and to which no one knows the answer to yet, is how competitive the independent IR residency will be.

How competitive ESIR is depends on the individual program, as in how many ESIR spots they have, and how many co-residents in your class are interested in it. That question is one to ask during your interview day. The real question you should really be asking, and to which no one knows the answer to yet, is how competitive the independent IR residency will be.

Is "independent IR residency" the same as integrated IR residency? Or is that the 1 year fellowship you get after ESIR? This is confusing.

Is "independent IR residency" the same as integrated IR residency? Or is that the 1 year fellowship you get after ESIR? This is confusing.

Independent IR residency = 2 years of IR training after a completed DR residency (total of 7 years of post graduate training). For those who decide on IR too late to do ESIR.

Reactions: 1 user
So I know my step is too low for integrated IR. So if I try to get into DR+ESIR, what is the best arrangement of electives? Like, 1 DR + 2 IR, 2 DR + 1 IR, etc.?

And hypothetically couldn't the IR electives come after interviewing season? So I would just do 3 DRs in August, September, October and then IR electives thereafter? Or do IR electives have any bearing on getting into ESIR?

Thanks.

I agree with qxrt. You don't need a bunch of DR/IR electives to match into DR. In fact, I think it can even hurt you. As a med student, you are basically an observer when rotating through DR. The best thing you can do is to have one radiology rotation under your belt prior to applying along with a bunch of well-rounded electives like neuro, EM, IM sub I, pulm, etc. Remember, to be a good radiology, you need to have a lot of knowledge about general medicine.