Backup plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hockeyfan23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I met with my advisor the other day and she seemed to think I would have a good chance at getting into a DO school somewhere. I have posted on here before so all of you have access to my stats. However, she did say to look into a backup plan. I know all of you are so negative on SGU or ROSS, but what about a masters/SMP. How do they work? And when/how would you apply to medical school while in the program. I am a little confused by the process so any answers would be great! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I met with my advisor the other day and she seemed to think I would have a good chance at getting into a DO school somewhere. I have posted on here before so all of you have access to my stats. However, she did say to look into a backup plan. I know all of you are so negative on SGU or ROSS, but what about a masters/SMP. How do they work? And when/how would you apply to medical school while in the program. I am a little confused by the process so any answers would be great! Thanks!

With a 3.4 GPA you will probably need a MCAT score > 27 to land a DO acceptance. In a situation where you're unable to score that well on the MCAT and don't get in then I would just retake the MCAT. Keep SGU or Ross out of the picture. You could also apply to SMP programs which I think have a deadline in Spring so check the dates ASAP. If you do take the SMP program you would let the schools know in the secondaries that you're in a SMP program. After completing the semester around December you would update the schools with your grades. Your goal should be to apply as early as possible. You should take your MCAT in April/May, have your transcripts send in May as soon as the spring semester ends (if you're taking the semester) and have your primary submitted in June. Please read my MDapp it discusses dates, personal statement and ECs.

Thanks for the fast reply. I am taking the MCAT in may and plan on submitting my apps in June so I hope that helps.