Backup specialty: Pros and cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DermMatch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another PM: Welcoming all comments...

"I was wondering what [people] thought about having a backup specialty when applying to residencies. I understand that it wouldn't be wise to apply to two specialties at the same residency program, but what about if you applied two specialties at different residency programs?"

Members don't see this ad.

bump

quickie answer: I did not have a backup specialty, as I did not have the time or energy to sink into really cultivating a second residency option the right way. I was going to default to IM if I didn't match in dermatology.

Just not worth it.

If you're thinking about doing anything remotely competitive, they'll see a transcript completely laden with dermatology stuff and will instantly know.

Who does derm research with a 4th year derm elective and then an away elective in dermatology only to say, "Oh yeah, I've always had a true passion in orthopedic surgery."

Now defaulting to IM is another story. We have to apply to prelim programs anyway and I'd have to believe a prelim program would gladly keep a slot open for a failed derm applicant to continue as a categorical resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally know of an intern who had not matched into derm but had no backup at all, as in they didn't have categorical IM positions on their rank list. While doing a prelim at a prestigious East Coast institution, s/he performed excellently and was able to continue in the IM residency as a categorical, but had to go through the application process and so was on pins/needles for a bit.

BTW I am personally opposed to doing transitionals, as the prelim year sets you up for mo' better options than a transitional if you don't match. I'd say transitionals are only appropriate if you are just so sure you will match that you won't be one of those poor souls that reapply and on the trail are forced to say, "I'm doing a transitional now...." and have people snicker at you behind your back (it has happened).

But nothing is sure in derm. So transitionals really are good for folks, say, going into anesthesia where most everyone matches because there are so many spots open.

you are able to structure your rank list such that you only get at TY if you get an adv derm slot, and if you fail to match into derm, it can run a separate list for your internship year where you can rank prelim years higher.

so, you CAN certainly apply to both, expecting to do TY if you match, and prelim medicine if you fail.

My backup if I didn't match was to postpone graduation and do a year of research and reapply as senior (5th year) med student. I have been told that your best chances of matching is as a senior medical student. I also didn't want to default into another specialty without giving it another try. I also know a person who didn't match was in their prelim medicine year and a program added a new spot and he/she got it, though rare stuff like that does happen.

My backup if I didn't match was to postpone graduation and do a year of research and reapply as senior (5th year) med student. I have been told that your best chances of matching is as a senior medical student. I also didn't want to default into another specialty without giving it another try. I also know a person who didn't match was in their prelim medicine year and a program added a new spot and he/she got it, though rare stuff like that does happen.

True but wouldn't you be considered a re-applicant anyway in that scenario? (also a red flag on an application)

True but wouldn't you be considered a re-applicant anyway in that scenario? (also a red flag on an application)

Possiblely but maybe not as much as an intern. When I applied I had no publications so hopefully I would be able to get some accepted by re-interview season. Also would be able to go on interviews more freely as a med student then as intern having to take time off on busy services and coverage problems.

I know multiple people who have gotten significantly more interviews their intern year (after being unsuccessful at match during 4th year), and have even matched, without much improvement to their application between the two application cycles. Try going to a well-known prelim program so that you have a good name behind you when you reapply your intern year, and if possible, to a program where you can make some connections with their derm department.