Bad biology grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which may or may not be doable depending on your situation. So as a student living off of student loans, your options are to use money from student loans, credit cards, work to pay for it, or hope a family member can help.

Yes, in those situations, $1,400 certainly looks less appetizing. I guess for some reason I thought most people pay cash. Don't know why.

How did you pay for your application expenses? What made you decide on 4 schools? What made you choose those particular ones?
 
Yes, in those situations, $1,400 certainly looks less appetizing. I guess for some reason I thought most people pay cash. Don't know why.

How did you pay for your application expenses? What made you decide on 4 schools? What made you choose those particular ones?
I chose 3 of the schools based on chances of getting in. OOS higher rates, IS (and what I thought was my IS) then a school that I met requirements for and would go to if accepted. I paid cash from one of the 3 student jobs I had that year. It still stung.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I only applied to one school and my bank account felt a bit of a burn from the app/supp app/transcripts/etc. I don't know how people ever do 8+.

I was real poor during undergrad...
Likewise. Even applying to four was a massive budget stretch for me. Then again, I have a pretty poor-paying job (minimum wage) and don't recieve much, if any, parental financial support. People just have different thresholds of what they are able to and/or willing to spend, I guess. Though I do think past a certain point, adding more schools doesn't really increase your chances of acceptance to any discernible level. Which is why I've never really felt the urge or desire to apply to, say, more than seven or so. :shrug:
 
It's getting progressively worse in the new curriculum. And I'm exactly the same way, I'd much rather you just teach me the material in an hour rather than me spending an hour figuring out 1/5 of the material in a group. Yeah, I learned that 1/5 probably better than I would have sitting in a lecture, but I didn't get the other 4/5 of the material and now have to find a way to teach it to myself.
The self-teaching probably works better if you're given the right tools to do it and you have the background knowledge to really understand what you need to be learning. As well as the appropriate amount of time. It doesn't sound like all of those are happening.
Good god. I feel for you here. I have nothing against blazing my own trail with self education.....but I do it for lack of a feasible alternative. I am not in school right now. I'm just learning some stuff for fun and some other stuff to advance my career. If I was in school, I'd want my professor to at least give me some sort of road map. Otherwise I would wonder why I was even there haha xD

I'm way late to the game here, so forgive me for throwing it back, but oh man... As someone in a PBL curriculum, reading this was so preaching to the choir. I mean, I'm a huge advocate for my school and I stand by the statements I make about how students will receive an adequate (although not identical and equal) education at any accredited school but... PBL is rough. During my first two years of school, I worked so so much harder than my colleagues in other schools for all of us to get from the same point A to the same point B because I had to spend class time talking about what I didn't know and bsing about how it could possibly work and then actually going home and finding the information, teaching it to myself, and then finally studying that information again and hopefully committing it to memory in time for exams. I would have loved to have a road map, or more instruction in the last couple of years.
 
Thank you so much for all your help! I feel a lot better. I was stressing out [emoji27]. I was also curious how do you prove your hours to vet schools? I don't even have any of my old pay stubs anyone and I'm not sure if my W2 would say how many hours I worked. Also, how many vet schools is to many to apply to?

While you don't have to "prove" them per se, you do need those letters of recommendation, which is (I imagine) one of the checks the admissions committee uses to gauge how honest your app was about your experiences.

Also, a lot of times, when you go to interview at the school, they'll ask you clinical questions based on the experiences you claim you've had. Or, if you're like me and expressed more of an interest in research, they'll ask you to describe the research you listed on your app. Someone else mentioned an honor system and how it's technically possible but risky to lie about your hours...you could mayyyybe get away with rounding your hours up significantly, but I doubt you could get away with pulling experiences out of thin air, just because of all the homework you'd have to do to be ready for those on-the-spot questions.
 
While you don't have to "prove" them per se, you do need those letters of recommendation, which is (I imagine) one of the checks the admissions committee uses to gauge how honest your app was about your experiences.

Also, a lot of times, when you go to interview at the school, they'll ask you clinical questions based on the experiences you claim you've had. Or, if you're like me and expressed more of an interest in research, they'll ask you to describe the research you listed on your app. Someone else mentioned an honor system and how it's technically possible but risky to lie about your hours...you could mayyyybe get away with rounding your hours up significantly, but I doubt you could get away with pulling experiences out of thin air, just because of all the homework you'd have to do to be ready for those on-the-spot questions.
I just don't get why anyone would lie about it haha. That could get someone in some deeeeep stuff. I could understand rounding 995 to 1000 or something like that. 5 hours isn't a big deal, but someone would look like a jackass if they couldn't even answer questions about their experiences. I'm surprised schools don't make you prove it, I think only Cornell wants letters from experiences.
 
So how does a C- work? On some vet school websites they say no grade below a C, does that mean my C- would have to taken over?
 
depends on the school. Only way to know would be to ask them
I just looked at two different ones and UF (my IS) won't accept a C- but University of Minnesota would accept it. I'm not sure what to do, if I get a C- I can't retake it but I don't want a D.
 
I just looked at two different ones and UF (my IS) won't accept a C- but University of Minnesota would accept it. I'm not sure what to do, if I get a C- I can't retake it but I don't want a D.
I think then it comes down to weighing your options. It will look much better to have a D turned into an A than a C-. I would spend some time chatting with the schools you want to apply to and see what they think would look better to them.
 
I just looked at two different ones and UF (my IS) won't accept a C- but University of Minnesota would accept it. I'm not sure what to do, if I get a C- I can't retake it but I don't want a D.
you can always take a single course not through your bachelors degree for specific colleges. But, the answer is you work your butt off and try to get the best grade you can. And you worry about retaking only if you need to.
 
I think then it comes down to weighing your options. It will look much better to have a D turned into an A than a C-. I would spend some time chatting with the schools you want to apply to and see what they think would look better to them.

you can always take a single course not through your bachelors degree for specific colleges. But, the answer is you work your butt off and try to get the best grade you can. And you worry about retaking only if you need to.

The test is tomorrow at 8am, I've been studying for the past few days I'm just not sure it's enough to get it to a C instead of a C-. Why can't a grade of a C- be re-taken? Why does it have to be a D or F? UGH. I don't want to stay up all night just to get a B- on the test and get a C- in the class. I'd rather take it again next semester if I have to, at least it's all pretty fresh.
 
The test is tomorrow at 8am, I've been studying for the past few days I'm just not sure it's enough to get it to a C instead of a C-. Why can't a grade of a C- be re-taken? Why does it have to be a D or F? UGH. I don't want to stay up all night just to get a B- on the test and get a C- in the class. I'd rather take it again next semester if I have to, at least it's all pretty fresh.
You got this! Don't let the nerves get to you. If you can petition to get another chance with the C- I would keep that in mind. But not every school will make exceptions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would it be better to get C- and try to re-take it?
If you can retake it with a C- ....probably. I believe that you should go all out and at least test and push yourself. But if you can't retake it.....I can't make that decision for you. I have a c+ under my belt...and I'm not retaking the class. Because I really don't feel it's worth it. But I'm not you....so that's tough.
 
If you can retake it with a C- ....probably. I believe that you should go all out and at least test and push yourself. But if you can't retake it.....I can't make that decision for you. I have a c+ under my belt...and I'm not retaking the class. Because I really don't feel it's worth it. But I'm not you....so that's tough.
I'd take the C- if I could but if my in state school doesn't accept a C- then I'm forced to retake it. I'm just going to study all night and hopefully get an A so I can get the grade to a solid C and kick ass in bio 2 next semester.
 
Or you could email your teacher after the fact and ask for a D so you can retake it if you can't get a regular C or C+. I think that's really weird that you can't retake it AT ALL with a C-. At my school, you can retake any class you want, but they won't do grade replacement unless you made a D or F.
 
Last edited:
I think that's really weird that you can't retake it AT ALL with a C-. At my school, you can retake any class you want, but it they won't do grade replacement unless you made a D or F.
Yeah, I was just about to say that I've never heard of a school that didn't allow retakes if you received higher than a D on the first go. That's just really odd to me. Here, we're allowed to retake pretty much any class we'd like, and the grade gets replaced as long as you scored below an A on the first time around.

But, yeah, OP. From what it appears, schools vary in whether or not they will accept a C-. Personally, I didn't have to deal with this issue as we don't do +/- at my undergrad, but I definitely advise that you directly ask the admissions departments of the schools you're interested in. If you can't pull at least a C this semester, look into a retake elsewhere -- you don't have to be degree-seeking, but do keep in mind that those students who are tend to have priority in registration/enrollment, so you'll likely have to be pretty quick about getting yourself in there. 👍
 
Or you could email your teacher after the fact and ask for a D so you can retake it if you can't get a regular C or C+. I think that's really weird that you can't retake it AT ALL with a C-. At my school, you can retake any class you want, but it they won't do grade replacement unless you made a D or F.
don't do this. it will still negatively affect your GPA and is a bad plan. Get the grade you earn and *if you need to* retake as non-degree seeking for the pre-req
 
Try to get the best grade possible! Are you able to take an incomplete? This is possible at my school, not sure about anywhere else. Do your best NOT to get a "D"! That will significantly drop your GPA. Most Vet schools require you to retake a course if you got a "C-" in it. A "C" they will accept. Maybe you can do an extra credit project? Ask the teacher b/c you never know!
 
Well the test is over now and there's nothing that I can do now until I get the grade. I'm checking my grades every 5 seconds, my professor is a sweet heart and knows about my kitten passing during the semester. I don't expect anything but if my grade is a 72.4 which is a C-, making it a 72.5 which would be a C, won't kill anyone. I studied all night and did the best I could possibly do, wishing for the best!!!🙂
 
Yeah, I was just about to say that I've never heard of a school that didn't allow retakes if you received higher than a D on the first go. That's just really odd to me. Here, we're allowed to retake pretty much any class we'd like, and the grade gets replaced as long as you scored below an A on the first time around.

But, yeah, OP. From what it appears, schools vary in whether or not they will accept a C-. Personally, I didn't have to deal with this issue as we don't do +/- at my undergrad, but I definitely advise that you directly ask the admissions departments of the schools you're interested in. If you can't pull at least a C this semester, look into a retake elsewhere -- you don't have to be degree-seeking, but do keep in mind that those students who are tend to have priority in registration/enrollment, so you'll likely have to be pretty quick about getting yourself in there. 👍
Yeah the school I'm transferring to is weird. But, if I get a C- I'm going to just retake, I'm sure they will accept my money. My grade wouldn't even be replaced if it was a D because I took it at a different school.

I called UF a billion times today and no answer for some reason. Maybe finals? Who knows. But I got through to Kansas and they said I'd definitely have to retake the class if it's a C-