Bad Chemistry Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ysiddiqi17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am graduating next week in the winter a semester early. I can say with much confidence that my cGPA will be a 3.63 and my science GPA will be in the 3.5 range. I think my numbers seem decent for allopathic medical school. My MCAT is a 515 (don't know how I scored that high...genuinely thought there had been a mistake lol). On the surface I feel like my stats are fine, but hidden in my GPA are my atrocious grades in chemistry. I got a C in gen chem I, a D in gen chem II which I retook and got a B. In organic chemistry I also got a C, and I did not take orgo II because I am only applying to schools which take biochem instead of orgo II. My GPA isn't absolutely horrible just because I kicked ass in pretty much everything else. I don't know whether it was the "freshman factor" when it came to these embarrassing chemistry grades, the fact that the chemistry department at my uni was a hot, flaming mess, or that I just suck at chemistry. Probably a combination of all three. I'm wondering if it's these grades in particular that are going to screw me over. I am a biology major and am going to receive a distinction in biology upon graduation. I have killer ECs. My MCAT seems pretty good.

TL;DR: are my terrible chemistry grades going to keep me out of medical school, given that I did my best to excel in pretty much everything else? This is truly my weak spot and it's because of this that I am seriously considering osteopathic over allopathic...

Members don't see this ad.

No. You’re fine. Much better than me and I got an II. Every student is different but from what you’ve said I don’t see a problem with you applying to IS MD, OOS DO, and some reach schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am graduating next week in the winter a semester early. I can say with much confidence that my cGPA will be a 3.63 and my science GPA will be in the 3.5 range. I think my numbers seem decent for allopathic medical school. My MCAT is a 515 (don't know how I scored that high...genuinely thought there had been a mistake lol). On the surface I feel like my stats are fine, but hidden in my GPA are my atrocious grades in chemistry. I got a C in gen chem I, a D in gen chem II which I retook and got a B. In organic chemistry I also got a C, and I did not take orgo II because I am only applying to schools which take biochem instead of orgo II. My GPA isn't absolutely horrible just because I kicked ass in pretty much everything else. I don't know whether it was the "freshman factor" when it came to these embarrassing chemistry grades, the fact that the chemistry department at my uni was a hot, flaming mess, or that I just suck at chemistry. Probably a combination of all three. I'm wondering if it's these grades in particular that are going to screw me over. I am a biology major and am going to receive a distinction in biology upon graduation. I have killer ECs. My MCAT seems pretty good.

TL;DR: are my terrible chemistry grades going to keep me out of medical school, given that I did my best to excel in pretty much everything else? This is truly my weak spot and it's because of this that I am seriously considering osteopathic over allopathic...
You're fine. Chill
Consider these schools:
Mt Sinai
Case
Mayo
U VM
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Wayne State
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Pitt
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
CUSM IF you're from CA
Your state school(s).

Reactions: 1 user
It’s not about single course grades. You’re applying to med school so you’re fine. Everyone struggles in Orgo.

That’s a pretty good GPA to have for allopathic schools as well as all osteopathic schools. Good luck and good job

Reactions: 1 users
You're fine. Chill
Consider these schools:
Mt Sinai
Case
Mayo
U VM
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Wayne State
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
BU
Pitt
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
CUSM IF you're from CA
Your state school(s).
3.6/3.5/515, Sinai, Mayo, and Einstein? Am I missing something?

2oo4b7.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Yeah everyone gets a reach school, just don’t forget that they are reaches. I was pretty confident (family and friends saying you got this, you’ve worked hard etc...) when I submitted my app, then UCLA basically flat out denied me from the beginning lol.. talk about rude awakening.

You may be asked about your performance. Be sure to have an explanation ready and think about what you learned from the situation.

N=1, but I had exactly the same situation B's/C's in gen chem+orgo and topped it off with C's in physics all freshman year. Same MCAT and overall GPA when I graduated. Applied this cycle received >10 II and multiple A. PM me if you have questions!

Given that you got a 515 on the MCAT, your Chem/Physics subsection must have been reasonably good. That is probably what will not completely scare off some schools - if your MCAT subsection is decent, adcoms will not worry that you do not understand the material and that you can't do the work in medical school despite your poor grades in Chem.

Your top notch EC's will help. You will need a very good Personal Statement and superb secondary essays (and interviews) to bring to life what you have learned about yourself and the world in these EC's. You do not need to over-rehearse, but I find that pre-med students should consider spending some money to hire a professional interview coach if they can afford it. (I am not advertising bc I do not do this!)
This is especially important if one has been told they are shy, or the opposite - overbearing. Humility is always the key, and striking the right balance in talking about yourself while being humble can be a hard needle to thread sometimes and may take some practice. And many students only get a couple of interviews, if they are lucky, so there is not much time for practice!

Reactions: 1 user