Bad COVID cough, only when speaking, role for laryngoscopy?

Started by DrMetal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrMetal

To shred or not shred?
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a clinic patient who has a really bad dry cough (COVID positive 2 months ago), but only when speaking. No cough at rest. Negative chest imaging. No oxygen requirement, normal vitals. Some fatigue but otherwise asymptomatic.

The poor guy . . . every time he opens his mouth to speak, and while speaking, he starts coughing vehemently. Is there a role here for laryngoscopy, to r/o laryngeal involvement, inflammation, vocal cord dysfunction???
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would, but I'm not an ENT!

Are you guys seeing much laryngeal/vocal pathology with COVID?

Ah. I've seen a few consults for it but haven't seen any actual pathology. If they come in for that reason I would certainly scope. Im not personally aware of any linked laryngeal pathology aside from the sequelae of intubation injury or prolonged intubation, but maybe some other ENTs have.