Bad DAT score but how bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental_Dude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I took the DAT July 2 2015. I did not get to study much before hand so... yeah. I know my scores suck but is there any hope for me?

PA 21
QR 15
RC 18
Bio 16
GC 17
OC 17
TS 17
AA 17

Science GPA 3.88
Overall GPA 3.858

Shadowing 60 hrs
Intern 160 hrs

A letter of rec. from a Dentist (plus others from school)

I have conducted 2 major research experiments and I presented one at CPUB (The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania University Biologists).

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I took the DAT July 2 2015. I did not get to study much before hand so... yeah. I know my scores suck but is there any hope for me?

PA 21
QR 15
RC 18
Bio 16
GC 17
OC 17
TS 17
AA 17

Science GPA 3.88
Overall GPA 3.858

Shadowing 60 hrs
Intern 160 hrs

A letter of rec. from a Dentist (plus others from school)

I have conducted 2 major research experiments and I presented one at CPUB (The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania University Biologists).

Your GPA and other stuff you listed is great. The majority of your DAT scores really aren't "bad" except for that QR. That said, I think you can improve your chances big time if you retook your DAT and got at least a 19 AA.

Your GPA and other stuff you listed is great. The majority of your DAT scores really aren't "bad" except for that QR. That said, I think you can improve your chances big time if you retook your DAT and got at least a 19 AA.
Yeah, that is what I am thinking too. I just have a lot going on before June 1st. I would retake it around July 1st to give myself some time to study and then submit it when I get the results. I'm just worried I won't be as prepared as I would like...

Yes, did you apply for this cycle? I am asking because you took it mid- 2015 and you are inquiring about it now. Unless you apply you won't know. Some people get 15 on a subject, but have been conditionally accepted. I suggest networking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, did you apply for this cycle? Unless you apply you won't know. I suggest networking.
I did apply last minute and I really screwed up. I had very limited funds and I chose to apply to IU and WVU because of low DAT scores. Turns out that they only take approx. 20-25% of OOS applicants. As you can imagine I got rejected by IU and I haven't heard from WVU. This time around I have been doing a lot of research on OOS friendly school and I found 15 private schools that are promising. I just have to check all of their requirements. I live in Pennsylvania and I am definitely going to apply to temple and maybe PITT.

I did apply last minute and I really screwed up. I had very limited funds and I chose to apply to IU and WVU because of low DAT scores. Turns out that they only take approx. 20-25% of OOS applicants. As you can imagine I got rejected by IU and I haven't heard from WVU. This time around I have been doing a lot of research on OOS friendly school and I found 15 private schools that are promising. I just have to check all of their requirements. I live in Pennsylvania and I am definitely going to apply to temple and maybe PITT.
Good idea. Everything always works out in the end. :)

Did you use destroyer for the sciences? If not, look into it. I'm sure your scores next time will be much better if you use it.

Good idea. Everything always works out in the end. :)
I really hope so. I just don't want to spend 500 bucks on DAT number 2
Did you use destroyer for the sciences? If not, look into it. I'm sure your scores next time will be much better if you use it.
No I did not. I am a bio major and I thought I had that in the bag, even though at the time I did not have human anatomy or physiology. Since the test I have taken both anatomy and physiology, plus I have taken pathophysiology. The questions I got were just strange and very specific.

I really hope so. I just don't want to spend 500 bucks on DAT number 2

No I did not. I am a bio major and I thought I had that in the bag, even though at the time I did not have human anatomy or physiology. Since the test I have taken both anatomy and physiology, plus I have taken pathophysiology. The questions I got were just strange and very specific.
The bio section is like you said, very random and detail oriented. Destroyer saved me on the exam. It's the best resource out there. Best of luck with everything!

Nice PAT at least man! How did you learn that? Well your DAT isn't that good but your other stuff sounds good! I think you should retake and focus on all the sciences. Feel free to message back and forth with me as I will plan to retake later too. The 2017 is the first cycle I'm applying to and I'd like to get my score up too. My semester is about to start and I gotta gun for the 4.0 to improve my current mediocre GPA lol.

Nice PAT at least man! How did you learn that? Well your DAT isn't that good but your other stuff sounds good! I think you should retake and focus on all the sciences. Feel free to message back and forth with me as I will plan to retake later too. The 2017 is the first cycle I'm applying to and I'd like to get my score up too. My semester is about to start and I gotta gun for the 4.0 to improve my current mediocre GPA lol.
Thank you, I just did the Crack the PAT. I felt that the the real PAT was easier than Crack PAT.

Last edited:
Thank you, I used Crack PAT it was harder than the real thing. I just got DAT Destroyer 2014 from a friend. I hope this helps me out. This is my study materials:

Crack PAT Ace
Chad's videos
DAT Destroyer 2014
DAT Boot camp
Math Destroyer 2015

My semester just started last week. I'm taking bio chem, cell bio, and a 4 credit internship. I'm going to try and study sometime in between classes/ intern and my part-time job. I will study more the beginning of May (when the semester ends) and try and take the DAT July 1st, then apply late July.

Interesting. Most people say Crack PAT is too easy for some of it's sections. I used it a bit and it didn't necessarily feel like that. I just never got good at PAT to begin with.

how in the world does someone with a ~3.9sGPA get a 17
kinda tells adcoms how you got that GPA. *wink wink*

Reactions: 1 user
Scenerios:
Low gpa, high dat = lazy
High gpa, ok dat= average, hard- working
DAT score of 30= cheater all over it.

As you can see 17-18 is average. I would be suspicious of the person with ok to mediocre gpa that applies with DAT scores of 25 and above.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-25-20-27-26-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-25-20-27-26-1.png
    379.6 KB · Views: 272
Scenerios:
Low gpa, high dat = lazy
High gpa, ok dat= average, hard- working
DAT score of 30= cheater all over it.

As you can see 17-18 is average. I would be suspicious of the person with ok to mediocre gpa that applies with DAT scores of 25 and above.
Ridiculous assumptions.

how in the world does someone with a ~3.9sGPA get a 17
kinda tells adcoms how you got that GPA. *wink wink*
I feel like bad luck/ bad preparation and nerves. I felt sick the entire time. I have made up my mind to take the DAT again and I'm already studying for it. This time around I know I will do better!!

I feel like bad luck/ bad preparation and nerves. I felt sick the entire time. I have made up my mind to take the DAT again and I'm already studying for it. This time around I know I will do better!!
Get into a study group.

feel free to message me. we shall calm our nerves together!