bad dat score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ken0622

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my 2nd DAT on Sept. 26

1st Dat score
PAT 18:(
QR 17:(
RC 14:(
Bio 19:(
GC 21
OC 22
TS 20
AA 19

2nd DAT score

PAT 20
QR 18:(
RC 13:(
Bio 20
GC 23
OC 25
TS 22
AA 20

I came to US 3 years ago but I am permenant resident.
I applied to 30+ schools. My undergraduate school GPA is 4.0 and my graduate school gpa is 3.75.

I really don't know what happen to my QR and RC score. I studied hard for these two section.

Dat reading section is so different from gre.
I got 650 verbal score on my gre.

Do you think I should retake dat for 3rd time?

I am so depress. I can't concentrate with my school work.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd retake. Since you are a permanent resident, 13 in RC may raise a red flag. Other scores are great. 18 in QR should be ok as well.

The only problem with your scores is the 13 in QR. With the other scores being very good IMO, you should have a good shot at a school without any cutoffs.

Good Luck!

I don't mean to step on any toes, JMJRDH1, but the 13 wasn't in QR it was in RC...

fyi :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm jealous of your 20 AA so I don't feel too bad telling you that your RC is going to hurt you with interviews :(. You did superb on everything else though so I'm sure that you will get interviews. Good job on your TS! I hope you didn't apply this year did you? It's pretty late.

i will actually go against the grain and advocate that you do not retake it. i think that you have really strong sciences and above avg. ts and aa. i think that adcom will look at you favorably and probably cut you some slack it they know you are an immigrant. i think you have a good chance with what you have.

Thank you for your response.
If I retake it i could improve RC score, however, it is too late.
So, I will just wait for responses from some dental schools.
i will actually go against the grain and advocate that you do not retake it. i think that you have really strong sciences and above avg. ts and aa. i think that adcom will look at you favorably and probably cut you some slack it they know you are an immigrant. i think you have a good chance with what you have.

I don't mean to step on any toes, JMJRDH1, but the 13 wasn't in QR it was in RC...

fyi :)

Oops! My toes are fine, thanks for the correction.

RC is very important when compared to QR, so maybe a retake is in order in this case. I will still hope for you though!

i think you should definitely retake it especially because english is not your first language.

It is late in the cycle and I would assume that you will probably get some interviews with that DAT score but like everyone else said that RC is really low and sticks out. Do you think all the rest of your sections would go down if you retook because you did amazing on them.

Really, I'd retake it. 16 in RC is considered pretty low. 13 is way too low (esp going from 14 to 13). I hope I'm wrong and you get some interviews. Good luck.