Bad experiences with pharmacy work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoyo100

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently quit my pharmacy job because of this pharmacist, who I worked with, was a jackass. He would cuss over tiny thing, ask you if you wanted to have sex with this hot female customer, talk to his friend on the phone when he's bored, and never want to consult customers at all. More important, i thought i was hired as a tech (at least that's what i applied on the app), but he gave me a cashier job even I have a certification for pharm tech! He also asked me to do tech work without the store manager's approval. I thought there's a chance for me to be hired as a tech in the future, but there is still no luck after half year. I realize pharmacist like him is afraid of wasting time to train undegraduate students becuz they will quit in a short time once they had been accepted to pharmacy school. Overall, I found myself very disappointed about pharmacy from this experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I work with a pharmacist like that now and it makes the shift fly by. I don't learn as much when I work with that pharmacist compared to others though.

Maybe he didn't like your inability to communicate using the English language.

Members don't see this ad :)
This post reminds me of when I worked in the grocery store. We had a code for a good looking individual. You would hear over the intercom, "Service 40 on Aisle 5" and check out Aisle 5 to see how good looking the person was. I wonder if they still do that.

This post reminds me of when I worked in the grocery store. We had a code for a good looking individual. You would hear over the intercom, "Service 40 on Aisle 5" and check out Aisle 5 to see how good looking the person was. I wonder if they still do that.

Haha I'm pretty sure every place that has college students working part time does that.

Hey guys, I recently quit my pharmacy job because this pharmacist i worked with was a jackass. He cuss , check out female customers behind their backs, talked on the phone when he's bored, don't want to consult customers at all. More important, i thought i was hired a tech, at least that's what i applied on the app, he gave me a cashier job even I have a certified license! asked me to do tech work also! I thought there's a chance of I can hired as a tech soon, but half year still no luck. I realize pharmacist like him is afraid of wasting time to train pre-pharm student becuz they will be gone after they got in. I found myself very disappointed about pharmacy from this experience.

I understood your post only partially. Do you mind rephrasing it a little better more so i can understand?

Hey guys, I recently quit my pharmacy job because this pharmacist i worked with was a jackass. He cuss , check out female customers behind their backs, talked on the phone when he's bored, don't want to consult customers at all. More important, i thought i was hired a tech, at least that's what i applied on the app, he gave me a cashier job even I have a certified license! asked me to do tech work also! I thought there's a chance of I can hired as a tech soon, but half year still no luck. I realize pharmacist like him is afraid of wasting time to train pre-pharm student becuz they will be gone after they got in. I found myself very disappointed about pharmacy from this experience.

There are going to be people like this in every industry. I'm sorry you had a bad experience in a pharmacy, but try to remove that from the equation. The parts of the job that were not tainted by this jerk: how did you like them? If you could have worked with a better human being, would you have enjoyed the job? As far as finding a tech job now goes, don't give up. It's a down economy, and tech hours and positions are always the first thing to go in tough times. But please don't let one bad seed spoil your whole pharmacy experience. I promise not all pharmacists are like that.

do you guys read fmylife.com? lol
here's a story from that site.
Today, I was working at a grocery store when a couple of my co-workers called a code pink in aisle 22, which means there was an attractive woman in that aisle. After hearing about how hot she was, I went over to see her for myself. It was my mom. FML

Code Pink? How obvious is that? At least, in my store the code sounded like the real ones. Service 40 didn't sound much different than a Service 30 for a clean up. And ours was gender neutral. It could apply to a man or a woman depending on who called it.

The mom story was pretty funny though.

You shouldn't let just this one experience affect your entire perspective on pharmacy. I'm fortunate to work with really nice pharmacists, but the techs and clerks aren't so nice. The way I see things is that I'm there to work to gain experience. Beyond that I don't really care what the pharmacists/techs really have to say or do, unless it's relevant to my job functions. If I was in your position, I would have quit and find another place way back then. That pharmacist probably wouldn't write you a good lor anyways.

You shouldn't let just this one experience affect your entire perspective on pharmacy. I'm fortunate to work with really nice pharmacists, but the techs and clerks aren't so nice. The way I see things is that I'm there to work to gain experience. Beyond that I don't really care what the pharmacists/techs really have to say or do, unless it's relevant to my job functions. If I was in your position, I would have quit and find another place way back then. That pharmacist probably wouldn't write you a good lor anyways.

Nope, I did not ask him to write a letter. I asked different Pharmacist to write.

Members don't see this ad :)
Code Pink? How obvious is that? At least, in my store the code sounded like the real ones. Service 40 didn't sound much different than a Service 30 for a clean up. And ours was gender neutral. It could apply to a man or a woman depending on who called it.

The mom story was pretty funny though.

Hmm yeah a code pink might not be a good idea. At many places including the hospital I work at a code pink means infant or child abduction.

Hey guys, I recently quit my pharmacy job because of this pharmacist, who I worked with, was a jackass. He would cuss over tiny thing, ask you if you wanted to have sex with this hot female customer, talk to his friend on the phone when he's bored, and never want to consult customers at all. More important, i thought i was hired as a tech (at least that's what i applied on the app), but he gave me a cashier job even I have a certification for pharm tech! He also asked me to do tech work without the store manager's approval. I thought there's a chance for me to be hired as a tech in the future, but there is still no luck after half year. I realize pharmacist like him is afraid of wasting time to train undegraduate students becuz they will quit in a short time once they had been accepted to pharmacy school. Overall, I found myself very disappointed about pharmacy from this experience.

I think this pharmacist sounds pretty cool actually. Dirty mouth, perverted, socially-minded......sounds like me.

Hmm yeah a code pink might not be a good idea. At many places including the hospital I work at a code pink means infant or child abduction.

Or Code Adam... I remember when I was in a Walmart during a Code Adam scare, the entire store was locked down, I was late for afternoon formation and got reamed by my supervisor. "Just break the door down next time, Sergeant." Ah, the logic of the Army never ceases to amaze.

you should try to obtain another experience. that sounds pretty ****ty for you lol

It will be your ability to deal with these people that will ultimately decide your longevity in this field. The patients will come and go - but you will have to deal with your coworkers day-in day-out.

Next time - find a way to communicate your displeasure - without making it a battle.

It will be your ability to deal with these people that will ultimately decide your longevity in this field. The patients will come and go - but you will have to deal with your coworkers day-in day-out.

Next time - find a way to communicate your displeasure - without making it a battle.

I would just punch them in the face, but that's the whole "adapting to civilian life" shtick I'm having to do.

What? how come it sounded like it is the patients related problem. It doesn't matter, I would choose to not work with people that likes to scorn people.

Well the op decided to PM me and politely tell me.

"If you have no intention to join the discussion, why don't you just shut the f up."

Haha

So.... I figured I'd join the discussion. Your pharmacist sounds really cool. I worked with an intern who would make me grab the register sometimes (confused???). Haha I realized that he would hand stuff off to me when a hot girl was picking stuff up to hook me up. A little black humor and levity helps us get through the day. I really hope I'm not your boss someday yoyo you need to lighten up :)

If you lightened up and quit acting like a tool maybe you would have gone a little farther there. gl

OP: I am sorry you failed to realize you became the butt of his sick and sadistic joke. Live and learn, eh?

What? how come it sounded like it is the patients related problem. It doesn't matter, I would choose to not work with people that likes to scorn people.

Knowing when a situation will not work for you is definitely an acquired skill.

If you feel patient problems are a major issue for you - you may want to change your focus from retail pharmacy (or pharmacy in general) - Addressing patient issues is central to what a pharmacist does.

If coworker problems comprise the major issue - choose your battles wisely. Some are worth fighting - others will get you blacklisted and/or make your life hell. Sometimes it's better to simply throw in the towel.

Well the op decided to PM me and politely tell me.

"If you have no intention to join the discussion, why don't you just shut the f up."

Haha

So.... I figured I'd join the discussion. Your pharmacist sounds really cool. I worked with an intern who would make me grab the register sometimes (confused???). Haha I realized that he would hand stuff off to me when a hot girl was picking stuff up to hook me up. A little black humor and levity helps us get through the day. I really hope I'm not your boss someday yoyo you need to lighten up :)

If you lightened up and quit acting like a tool maybe you would have gone a little farther there. gl

While there is some truth to what you are saying - Poor form in portraying it... There are better ways of telling someone to lighten up.

Knowing when a situation will not work for you is definitely an acquired skill.

If you feel patient problems are a major issue for you - you may want to change your focus from retail pharmacy (or pharmacy in general) - Addressing patient issues is central to what a pharmacist does.

If coworker problems comprise the major issue - choose your battles wisely. Some are worth fighting - others will get you blacklisted and/or make your life hell. Sometimes it's better to simply throw in the towel.

I wishe it was the co-worker type of problem. It is more like boss and staff problem. He did not hire me as a tech and this will give me a harder time for finding a pharmacy tech job.

OP: I am sorry you failed to realize you became the butt of his sick and sadistic joke. Live and learn, eh?

Yeah, I quit because I realize it. I worked for the company, but not him.